1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do you get your custom .MP3 files into the right folder?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by bennylava, Sep 28, 2012.

1. bennylava

bennylava Well-Known Member

Well, maybe this question is really more about which folder to put the files in. I am trying to set a custom notification sound for my text messages. Its the starcraft "Receiving incoming transmission" sound. I have the mp3 file on my phone, but apparently you have to set it as a "notification" in order for it to be used as your new text sound.

I tried using GoSMS Pro to set it up, but it didn't work. For some reason android just bypasses that method or something, and just uses the default "notifications" sound. So which folder do I need to put my MP3 in, to make it appear on the list of notifications so that I can select it? I know that it will then of course make that sound for every single notification on the phone, but they didn't seem to take that into account when they built android. Oh well.

Oh and I'm using 2.3.6 Gingerbread

2. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert

From what I have read around here, is that you need to place them in a Ring Tone folder that you create. Whatever app your using for text messaging, you should be able to select the MP3 from that folder and set it as the default. I use Handcent SMS and haven't had any problems with custom ring tones. (Also, make sure the ring tone is in the correct format.)

3. bennylava

bennylava Well-Known Member

Well I had it working on my old android phone with .mp3 format so that should work. But what do you name the folder, and where exactly do you put it? I'll be using windows and just slapping the folder in my SD card on the phone. I just connect the phone as mass storage and move files that way.

EDIT:

Oh I see what you're saying now about the app I'm using for messaging. I'm using GoSMSPro and while you can select the file that I want to use, and set it to be the one that is used, it never really takes effect. I guess. Cause the phone just keeps playing the default notification sound when I get a text. Which is the same sound for ANY notification, not just a text.

4. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

It would help if you told us which phone you are using. On my SGS3, I noticed that when I copy a sound file to my phone from my PC, Windows file manager asks if I want to do a conversion of the file. Say no to this as the conversion causes some issues.

On my HTC Desire Z, I had to use RingDroid to "designate" the sound file as a notification before I can actually choose it as a ring tone.