1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

how do you guys get the battery to last, mine isnt

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by joey00, Sep 22, 2013.

1. joey00

joey00 Lurker

hey i'm reading about the amazing battery lives but how come mine is dieing after 9-10 hours of use. I don't do much on the phone but lots of texts, that's it. screen brightness at 48%

how are you guys getting this crazy battery life. thanks

i have the verizon lg g2

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jikhead

jikhead Android Expert

Perhaps check to see if there are any apps running in the background. Maybe one of them is eating up the battery.

I got some real world usage out of mine Friday. I used the Navigation for about a total of 1.5 hours, streamed some music for about 1 hour, check emails throughout the day; check texts throughout the day, was on the internet several times. From 8am until I got back to the office at 4pm; I had 46% battery left. You should be doing a while lot better than 9-10 hours of texts. But then again, check and see how long your display has been up. I bet it could be that. Perhaps also switch to a dark background in your SMS in order to conserve battery without having to turn the backlight on so much.

3. TritonDroid

TritonDroid Well-Known Member

I was working yesterday around the house. Took the phone off of the wireless charger at 8am. Few text and looked at the phone minimally, 915pm phone was at 97%

4. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert

I have yet to put mine through my daily paces since I just got it a day ago, but we were in the car for about 30 minutes this morning and I was using Waze. It didn't tick down to 99% until about 20 minutes into the trip, pulling 4G data and constantly polling the GPS. I'm seriously impressed. Got to my destination with 98% remaining. My GNex typically drops to 89% after the same trip. Not a huge difference you say? The G2 was only on battery and my GNex is routinely attached to a 1A car charge. :eek:

5. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert

Look in the system settings for the battery graph and see if anything in particular is hogging the battery. I have been seriously impressed by the battery life on my G2.

6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Unless perhaps you are in a fringe coverage area or something is going on in the background, I haven't heard many people reporting bad battery life. Might try using an app like Wakelock Detecor or similar and see if you can identify something strange going on?

7. joey00

joey00 Lurker

thanks for the responses so far

coverage area in the city is really good..however the building where i live is known for having bad reception services except for verizon.. i get 2-3 bars 4G in the building...doubt that's draining it

bad phone? bad battery? could it be i got that one unlucky bad phone??

8. iowabowtech

likely cause then is a process running over and over. Did you try the free Wakelock Detector app? Its in the play store. Enable advanced mode to show system processes also.

9. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert

Go to settings >battery then look for this screen.
    Should be able to see if anything is draining your battery.

Attached Files:

10. joey00

joey00 Lurker

ok im going try download that app

and here goes a summary of the battery stats i just took couple mins ago

Screenshot_2013-09-22-17-33-44 (360x640).jpg

Screenshot_2013-09-22-17-33-55 (360x640).jpg

Screenshot_2013-09-22-17-34-08 (360x640).jpg

11. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert

You should kill maps if you're not actively using it. Thats where most of your juice is going.

12. hollywoods14

hollywoods14 Android Expert

My main thought when setting up my phone is " convenience = lower battery life" the more notifications, auto email checking, widgets updating, etc the more the battery is going to drain.

13. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member

I just have to say the battery life of this phone is ridiculously awesome. I am currently at 84 hours off of the charger and it says I have 8.5 hours left! If you are not impressed with your battery life, something is not working correctly.

I should also mention that I don't do any major steps to try and conserve battery. I have live wallpaper, several widgets, wifi is usually on, bluetooth is on 100% of the time, etc. I should also mention that I run TSF shell as my launcher and I think it actually helps with battery use, I know it did on my S4.

Chris....

14. streetkilln

streetkilln Android Enthusiast

how the f 85 hours off the charger? i only get 24 hours. maybe because i use the web browser, skype(no video) and texting alot

15. iowabowtech

If anyone is struggling, try disabling network location and keep regular GPS enabled. You'll lose the Google Now cards and I'm still looking for other casualties but not finding any so far. Search and nav still work off primary GPS.

The issue is high wakelocks from Google Services specifically the network location process. Its hurting some batteries and not so much on others. Not sure why the disparity.

16. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member

I don't know but it is repeatable. Currently I am at 89.5 hours off the charger, battery is at 12%, and it says I have 22 hours left. I know 22 hours is too optimistic, unless I ran it down to 0%. I use waze and a few texts, a few calls and watched part of a movie.

Blows my S4 out of the water!

Chris.....

17. Jastow

Jastow Newbie

Earlier this week R2GO, some AT&T service, was using most of my battery and today, location services was the top user. I stopped both and it seems a bit better, but won't be able to tell for sure until tomorrow. Seems every couple of days something new is draining my battery.
    **UPDATE** Turning off location services and Google services helped keep reduce battery usage. I'm at 47% after about 8 hours, which is better than my 20ish percent earlier this week.

18. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Android Enthusiast

This is what I have been able to get so far. Phone was off the charger for 10 hours last night. I streamed a movie off of HBO GO, was logged into skype, and on a voice call for 3 hours, and streaming music for the other 5 hours. My GNEX I had to have plugged in while doing all of that, and I would still lose 50% of my battery during that time frame, doing similar tasks.

19. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

For what it's worth, I do remember that on my GNex, having Google Now enabled was a pretty noticeable difference in battery life. It may be better now on the newer devices, but it's worth a shot to turn off to try, for anyone trying to super-maximize the battery. I'm still amazed at this thing. I put it on the charger last night after it FINALLY got down to 20%. Charged quickly, and then I unplugged it at 100% around... 1ish? Been up a while, and only down to 89...I don't think I've ever had a phone good for a full day without a charger, under normal use, much less one that goes well beyond lol.

Another way, if you can swing it to test, is toss it into airplane mode for a while, see if it levels out the usage. Mainly since you can't really do much lol.

LG G2 Forum

The LG G2 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews