• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you Move apps/games to SD Card?

Is there anyway to move apps/games onto my SD Card, I have an 8gb sd card and its 95% free, the memory on my phone is almost at full capacity, and I keep getting that annoying message that says "Low on Space" on my notifications bar. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Go to menu-settings- applications, manage application.
There, click on the app and you should see an option to move to SD

Upvote 0
I've tried this, It lets me move maybe 2 apps over to my sd card, those 2 apps aren't even a MB combined so its completely pointless. Is there another way around this because this is so ridiculous...

I just went though some of my apps and also see that many cannot be moved.

My best guess is that it has to do with the app. MAybe the way the developer designed that app, it cannot function from the SD card?
I'm just guessing... but i like the way I think:D

Upvote 0
You need to be rooted though . . . . . if you are then it will work.

When you get to the screen which lists all the apps, there are two menus a short press and a long press on each app gives different options.

I believe the long press pulls up the menu with move to SD card

Remember don't move anything in RED (system) and nothing that runs in the background.

Stuff you launch like games and such should be fine.

Upvote 0
another app is "move2sd enabler". Must be rooted, but it will allow moving apps to sd. You go into the move2sd app, and set it to external, hit apply, and then you can go into settings and move them from there like normal. I moved almost all mine. I think i heard you should leave apps that you use widgets on the phone. but idk.

Upvote 0
a lot of it has to do with the app developer not updating it to work with 2.2...i update my apps once a day and usually get a couple more that can be moved to the SD card. if you want a quick way of checking which apps can be moved, i highly suggest getting the "move to SD" app in the market. it gathers all the movable apps in one place so you dont have to go through ALL your apps, just the ones you can move.

i also had some problems when moving to the SD card...basically made some shortcuts to the apps with custom icons, and the icons would go to the default whenever i rebooted the phone. moved em' back to the phone and all is good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones