• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you move apps to SD card on Alcatel Fierce 4

That hasn't been a standard feature since Android 4.0, though many manufacturers added it back.

What OS version have you got? With 6.0 Google added the option to format the sd card as internal storage, which would allow you to store apps on it if your phone has this. It has the drawbacks that the card is reformatted and encrypted, so all data currently on it are lost and it can no longer be used in other devices, and a fast card is strongly recommended.

Otherwise your only option is likely to be to root and use a script or app like Link 2nd.

Reactions: Pipe Diesel
Upvote 0
That hasn't been a standard feature since Android 4.0, though many manufacturers added it back.

What OS version have you got? With 6.0 Google added the option to format the sd card as internal storage, which would allow you to store apps on it if your phone has this. It has the drawbacks that the card is reformatted and encrypted, so all data currently on it are lost and it can no longer be used in other devices, and a fast card is strongly recommended.

Otherwise your only option is likely to be to root and use a script or app like Link 2nd.

Thanks for the reply Hadron. I have Marshmallow 6.0.1. I'm not exactly sure what's on the SD card, but don't want to really format it until I find out what's on there. Guess I'll have to connect to my PC and see what's on it and decide. I can't believe that the option to move anything and everything to the SD card isn't standard on all phones, I mean this is 2017. But enough about cheap ass phone manufacturer's. Thanks again for your reply!

Upvote 0
There are technical arguments for favouring internal storage. Even the fastest SD cards are slower than internal storage, wear out faster, and if they are fat32 formatted they are less secure (file permissions aren't supported by fat32 drives under Linux - this is why the card has to be reformatted to be used as internal storage with Marshmallow). These are the (official) reasons Google have never been fans of storing apps on SD, and even less of storing app data - in fact the last Google device to have an SD card slot at all was the Nexus One (2010), so they really are not fans. Mind you, it took Google a long time to accept that people wanted to store data and media on the device rather than in their cloud - even the Nexus 5x only came with 16/32 GB and no expansion, and who other than Google would think that 16GB with no expansion, which means about 10GB available after a factory reset, would be sufficient in 2015/16 for a phone that's targetted at enthusiasts?

With the new Marshmallow option you can indeed store whatever you want on the card, but at the cost of having it behave like internal storage in other ways too (i.e. not being usable as transferrable storage due to encryption).

And yeah, I'd definitely back the card up completely before doing anything like this.

Reactions: Pipe Diesel
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones