• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you organize your apps?

craighwk

Android Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2009
Denver, CO
Now that we've had our phones for a few weeks, the Application list is probably growing quite a bit. I know mine is!

I wonder, how do you all organize your applications? Do you just put a few frequently used icons on your home screen and left the rest in the drawer? Do you create folders for different categories (Games, Utils, Social, etc) and place apps in there? Do you just load up your 3 home screens (or more if you have a home replacement) with EVERYTHING from the drawer?

Curious as to what you do and if there are any more neat ways to keep your apps in order.

Apps organizer is a great free program. I just downloaded it yesterday and replace my folders with icons. witch really should have been a stock feature. Some of the reviews said the icons don't look good on the high res screen and are also to small but they look fine on my droid. I havn't tried it yet but If you want to organize apps, contacts, and bookmarks ABC organizer is $.99 made by the same person.

Upvote 0
Apps organizer is a great free program. I just downloaded it yesterday and replace my folders with icons. witch really should have been a stock feature. Some of the reviews said the icons don't look good on the high res screen and are also to small but they look fine on my droid. I havn't tried it yet but If you want to organize apps, contacts, and bookmarks ABC organizer is $.99 made by the same person.

Yah I can't believe how easy this is going to make keeping control over my applications. Gonna send this guy a donation for sure.

Icons look fine to me. They even match the wallpaper I have going.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm.. That looks interesting. :D I think i'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Edit: Downloaded and installed. Can't believe how awesome this App is. Wish I would have seen it sooner. Thanks again for this.

Thanks for the heads up as well. Fantastic app. Google should consider this for default functionality in Android considering it uses a label/star system like Gmail.

Upvote 0
This thread should be renamed "Check out AppsOrganizer." Thanks for the tip -- I love it. (I only wish there was a way of assigning custom icons to added labels when used as shortcuts -- or is there??)

Actually there is. If you long press on any application in the list it will bring up a window for you to choose a label. In the next window in the bottom right corner is a green plus sign. If you click on that it will let you create a new label.

To change the icon go to the labels tab. Long press on the one you want to change. Hit change icon. Choose default icons and you will see a whole bunch of choices.

Upvote 0
I also love apps organizer. Using in conjunction with dxTop home replacement.

Here's a screenshot of how I labeled/setup apps organizer. This is my "left" screen on dxTop.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/23303-your-thoughts-dxtop-droid-owners-2.html#post156860

Top (main) home is things like contacts, map, navigation, google talk - constant use stuff.

Right screen is media - music widget, last FM widget, shazam, slacker, AORadio, tv.com, google listen

bottom screen is utility stuff. alarms, calculator, stopwatch, touch timer, dockrunner, lightning bug, sleep timer, LED flashlight widget.

Upvote 0
I'm using panda and I have everything that I use often on my to pull outs. My right screen is nothing but folders with certain things in them. ex: Music, tools, info, shopping, finance, etc.. So, I can find anything pretty quick I also love how Panda put the alphabetic order selections at the bottom in the apps sections.
But, I will try this app organizer out. Thanks for pointing it out.

Upvote 0
Actually there is. If you long press on any application in the list it will bring up a window for you to choose a label. In the next window in the bottom right corner is a green plus sign. If you click on that it will let you create a new label.

To change the icon go to the labels tab. Long press on the one you want to change. Hit change icon. Choose default icons and you will see a whole bunch of choices.
Thanks -- Sunday morning surprise. Perfect app. :)

Upvote 0
I have been using this app since day 1, but didn't play with the ability to change icons until I read this. Works great, simple, and there are tons of icon packs on the market! It's great that even the packs that say you need Open Home - Full or Better Cut etc. still work even without having those apps. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones