• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you organize your home screen?

How do you organize your home screen?

• Total voters
1111_zps6c72eca1.jpg

Upvote 0
I laughed at the responses where people keep their screen relatively empty to see their wall paper.. because I’m the exact opposite. My wallpaper is black because it saves power and more important I don’t want it to distract me from quickly finding what I want/need.

The logic of location of things on my homescreen is mixture of functional grouping and historical evolution. (sometimes things make sense to be in a certain place because that’s where they’ve always been).

I have Holo Launcher pro set up with 9 screens, each 5 rows high plus 3 docks below which I store a total of 16 apps on.

I do use empty space primarily to give my screens/docks an instantly recognizeable unique (for each screen) appearance, rather than for asthetics. The simplest example are my three dock screens: the center dock screen is full with 6 icons, the left most has 5 and the rightmost has 5. The empty space is on the far right side of the left dock and the far right side of the right dock.. as if I have one long string of icons slightly shorter than the available space. Can instantly recongize which dock by looking at the empty space rather than the icons. Helps those who tend to reorganize frequently althoug my dock is pretty stable.

I also use empty space strategically on my home screens just to make them uniquely instantly recognizeable without even looking at the icons. Additionally, I use Elixir Widgets to give me small clusters of Apps (possibly with different spacing than the normal home screen) to further give each screen a unique personality.

Holo launcher gestures, come in pairs that are memorable to me.
Swipe down turns screen off (to help save wear and tear on power button).
Swipe up brings up screen brightness adjustment (sort of the opposite).

Pinch out (which signifies zoom-in in my mind) launches astro file explorer since the files are a “lower level” than the launcher
Pinch in (which signifies zoom-out in my mind) launches Twisted Home Switcher historically because switching launchers is a “higher level”.

Actually recently I have changed pinch in to launch ADW launcher directly. Here’s why:

I make extensive use of Color note widgets on my homescreen. They are color coded by function (work items, home items, shopping list, time-based lists etc). The ones that are important to me are kept on my home screen. They can also easily be resized to show more or less of the list (resizable widgets built into Holo launcher). I have had at least 4 of my 9 homescreens devoted to these lists and am started to feel a little cramped in my home screens.

So I have moved all my colornote widgets to ADW launcher. Pinch in from Holo homescreen and I’m there in ADW instantly to view/edit my Color Note lists. Hit the home button from ADW and I’m back to normal Holo launcher. Why limit to one launcher and 9 screens. I just started this yesterday... haven’t seen any bad effects on phone performance. (I’m not a gamer or anything so my phone gives me more than I need).

I use 1-Tap Quick Bar to pull down from the menu bar things I really need quickly, possibly from within applications (so I don’t have to go back to homescreen to get them)
That includes
screen shot
Google search
wifi manager (sometimes my wifi doens’t work and wifi manager seems to fix it).
Droid48 calculator – I use it a lot

When I download a new App, I tend to put it on a homescreen so I don’t forget about it. Later as I figure out what I’m going to do with the App and how much I’m going to use it, I find a permanent home for it, either in a folder (+1 for folder organizer) or on home screen, or sometimes if I find I'm not using I uninstall it or leave it nowhere except App drawer.

So I have one screen devoted to new (unfiled) programs.

I have one center screen for communcations / internet

I have one screen on right devoted to monitoring phone (battery, programs, memory) and settings.

I have one screen on left devoted to “Apps” if that makes sense. Mostly grouped by folder organizer.

I have one screen devoted to things I may need while driving.
Navigation, Locale, Parking. Icon to launch battery level/temp monitor that will float over other apps like navigation. Sometimes I add links for directions to specific place or trip contacts in advance of a g trip. Also have a folder organizer link for quick access to things like phone, text etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones