• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do you overclock?

B

budmonster

How do you overclock on the Rezound? On my old DX it was easy, there was an application for it. On my D1 I had to d/l SetCPU or something but I can't remember.

I've never had an HTC phone before so I'm not sure on how to do this?

How do you overclock on the Rezound? On my old DX it was easy, there was an application for it. On my D1 I had to d/l SetCPU or something but I can't remember.

I've never had an HTC phone before so I'm not sure on how to do this?

You have to unlock the bootloader and root it then flash ziggys kernel which overclocks it to 1.82 GHz I think check out xda for more info

Reactions: trophynuts
Upvote 0
so all i do is install a kernel and then use setcpu to overclock?

by the way what is a kernel actually and what does it do?

If you are already unlocked and rooted and have a recovery flashed, all you have to do with the kernel I suggested is place it on your SD card and reboot your phone into recovery. Wipe your cache and dalvik cache then flash the zip file. after flashing the zip, your phone will automatically reboot to your bootloader and ask if you want to update, and you confirm that request. Once your booted back to your home screen, delete the PH zip file that was created on your SD card from this process, and that's it. You can then proceed to use setCPU to overclock to a limit of 1.83ghz.

How I understand it is that the kernel is the base for the OS which in this case is android. The kernel "regulates" many things for a computer(smartphone).

It basically regulates the hardware of the phone in conjunction with the OS built upon the kernel.

Since we are talking about overclocking:

The stock kernel for the ReZound is instructed to run a max frequency of 1.5ghz.

When you unlock/root your phone and use an unsecured modified kernel, whatever that kernel has been modified to do, it does. The kernels listed above in the previous posts are instructed to run at a max freq of 1.83ghz and that number was chosen for stability purposes. It's rare for our CPU which resides in the ReZound to reach higher speeds than that while maintaining stability, although some can.

The kernel also controls more than the CPU instructions, it also regulates the network connection. If you receive data over the network, the kernel regulates which program that data belongs to.

Again, the kernel does much more than I listed.

This is just my understanding of the kernel, please chime in if I'm off.

I suggested a kernel in a previous post because of the stability it provides. I can only guess why Ziggy's kernel is less stable, but being the guessing man that I am, I would blame the stability issue on the lowered voltages the kernel is set to run at. Not all CPU's of the same make are created equal and can't run stable at the modified voltages, although some can. That's why some people report no problems from usage while the majority of users have had issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones