1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How Do You Pay For Your Apps?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Killafornia, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Killafornia

Killafornia Lurker

I would like to purchase an app from the market place, but I'm reluctant to give out my credit card info over the phone. Not only that, seem's silly for $1.50.

This method of payment has kept me only in the free section and from purchasing any app.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert

I already used Google Checkout for other purchases, which is like Google's version of PayPal.

I've paid for my purchases with Google Checkout or PayPal, whichever the paid app links me to for payment.

While using a debit card as your linked payment method is pretty convenient (who doesn't have a debit card, right?) -- I would recommend against it. That's because the debit card is linked to your BANK ACCOUNT...and banks have little incentive to help you resolve disputes, should you have one with the merchant.

Better to link your PayPal and/or Google Checkout accounts with a CREDIT CARD (and make sure it's one you RELIGIOUSLY pay off every month, otherwise, with interest, that 99 cent app could end really be a $5 or more app).

3. caver

caver Lurker

I've been using pre-paid gift cards to load up my Droid X with apps. I can buy them at the grocery store checkout. That way I don't have to link the Market to a debit or credit card.

Watch out for the "reloadable" ones. Many of them have a monthly service fee.

MikeAce00 likes this.
  4. MikeAce00

MikeAce00 Well-Known Member

hmmmm, This is a really good idea, and quite simple actually.

Welcome to the board Caver!

5. Killafornia

Killafornia Lurker

Thank you for the replies.
    I have a paypal account, but the apps that I've tried to buy did not have the pay pal option. The pre paid card sounds cool. But, I have not seen one. I'll look into that.

6. caver

caver Lurker

I find them at most grocery stores, convenience stores and other stores like Walgreens. They're usually up close to the check out area. Be advised a lot of the pre-paid cards won't work for purchases outside the USA. For instance you couldn't use it to buy something directly from a website based outside the US. I've had no problems buying apps from the Market. There, you're paying Google in US funds and they pay the developer...wherever they may be.

Also be careful and make sure you get a generic Visa/Master Card type card. A lot of the pre-paid cards are for specific stores only.

7. Killafornia

Killafornia Lurker

Thank you Caver. It took your second post to get it thru my thick head. I was going to look for a prepaid app card :). I understand now that it's a prepaid credit card. I'm slow.

That's a great idea that I'll try. Thanks again.

8. sic0048

sic0048 Android Enthusiast

Check to see if your credit card company offers temporary credit card numbers for online shopping. Something like Shop Safe by Bank of America or Virtual Acct Number by Citi. This allows you to issue a unique credit card number instead of giving out your real credit card number. Just specify how much total credit can be used on that unique number - something like $5, etc and use it for your app purchases. That way even if the number is compromised the card cannot really be used because the credit limit is so small.

For example, if you get a unique number and specify $10 total credit, buy $6 worth of apps and the card is compromised, they could only charge $4 on the card before it would start being declined. In the end, you shouldn't be held responsible for any fraudulent charges, but it is much easier to get $4 reversed than $4,000.

9. bbuck002

bbuck002 Android Enthusiast

i use google checkout. no problems here.

if you have a paypal account, and you feel comfortable using it there's really no difference with google checkout.

10. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Android Expert

I use sex to pay for my apps, lol

11. dguy

dguy Android Expert

The developer never sees your credit card information. Everything is handled through Google Checkout by Google. Purchasing apps through the Android Market is no less secure than shopping online at Best Buy.

12. Haywire

Haywire Android Enthusiast

I have a problem with the market but its that I need to change my credit card. I've looked on google checkout and I couldnt find the option anywhere. Is it on the phone that I need to change it?

13. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert

I use Google Checkout as well and never had any problems. If you are paranoid, then just keep an eye on your credit card statement (hopefully you're doing that online) and you can keep up with all your purchases. See something you didn't purchase, let the credit card company know, they remove the charge and will give you a new card number, that simple.

14. dragonbro

dragonbro Android Enthusiast

If you want to change your default credit card with Google Checkout you have to log in to Google on your computer, go to "My Account Settings" at the top and check your settings for "Checkout". There should be a link on the left for "edit payment method".

15. Hello2011

Hello2011 Lurker

HI:

I am trying to purchase apps and upgrades on my Android phone..but it is not being accepted...why? What do i put when it asks for the name on the creit card? HELP i want to add apps and upgrade but can't...:(

16. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

Did not know you could use pre-paid cards. I hate Pay Pal.

17. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert

I get them from a place that rhymes with climate Jay. No, prepaid credit card.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews