• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do you perform a nandroid backup

rtfelt

Dec 28, 2010
S. CA
This is probably the stupidest question ever, but what exactly is a nandroid backup and how does one create one? I'm assuming it's a complete backup of all info (date, apps, OS...) on your phone (SD card, main memory...). How exactly does one create this? Is it a matter of using Titaniaum backup to backup to your SD card then simply copying all the contents of the SD card to a folder on your computer or is there more to it? It might be that easy and that's why I haven't found a guide. If there's more to it could you advice me please? Thanks in advance.

You make nandroid backup from the amon ra recovery. When you make a nandroid, it is a backup of EVERYTHING on your phone at the time of the backup. The sdcard is left out though. You can get the amon ra recovery from Rom Manager. Just flash the alternate recovery a few times to make sure that the recovery sticks. Then power the phone off and hold SEND + MENU + END until the LG screen pops up. You are now in recovery. Slide the keyboard open and use the dpad to navigate, enter to select, and volume down to go back. Choose backup/restore and choose to make a nandroid backup. Once that's done, you can volume down back to the main menu and choose reboot now.

Upvote 0
If you are running stock, make sure to remove /system/ect/install-recovery.sh otherwise your recovery will be overwritten on reboot. You can flash with ROM manager like said above. But you can also do it manually with the guide posted in getitnowmarketing's forum (i linked in your other thread) this is more reliable and removes the file i mentioned but either will work. the menus in the recovery are pretty self explanitory. In the backup menu i usually back up everything but cache, recovery, sdext. But thats all up to you. As your adventure with root goes on youll learn more about what it all is. Just read around here, most questions have been asked and asked again.

Upvote 0
You make nandroid backup from the amon ra recovery. When you make a nandroid, it is a backup of EVERYTHING on your phone at the time of the backup. The sdcard is left out though. You can get the amon ra recovery from Rom Manager. Just flash the alternate recovery a few times to make sure that the recovery sticks. Then power the phone off and hold SEND + MENU + END until the LG screen pops up. You are now in recovery. Slide the keyboard open and use the dpad to navigate, enter to select, and volume down to go back. Choose backup/restore and choose to make a nandroid backup. Once that's done, you can volume down back to the main menu and choose reboot now.
If I remove the SD card where is the backup saved? I selected "alternate recovery" in Rom Manger (several times) and each time got an error with no explanation. I read through some threads to find an answer to this. Someone recommended selecting "fix permissions" but that gave an error too.

If you are running stock, make sure to remove /system/ect/install-recovery.sh otherwise your recovery will be overwritten on reboot. You can flash with ROM manager like said above. But you can also do it manually with the guide posted in getitnowmarketing's forum (i linked in your other thread) this is more reliable and removes the file i mentioned but either will work. the menus in the recovery are pretty self explanitory. In the backup menu i usually back up everything but cache, recovery, sdext. But thats all up to you. As your adventure with root goes on youll learn more about what it all is. Just read around here, most questions have been asked and asked again.

I've spent weeks going through the threads and have learned a lot, but so much of the lingo I simply don't know. I'm no computer scientist. I've looked through that link you mentioned from my other post but #2 is "ADB setup on your computer" and I haven't been able to verify I have this yet.

Upvote 0
If I remove the SD card where is the backup saved? I selected "alternate recovery" in Rom Manger (several times) and each time got an error with no explanation. I read through some threads to find an answer to this. Someone recommended selecting "fix permissions" but that gave an error too.

I've spent weeks going through the threads and have learned a lot, but so much of the lingo I simply don't know. I'm no computer scientist. I've looked through that link you mentioned from my other post but #2 is "ADB setup on your computer" and I haven't been able to verify I have this yet.

Do it manually, it works the first time every time. Deja vu!! De ja vu? Who cares, i dont speak french!

And you cant do a nandroid backup without an sdcard, where do you expect it to save it?? A bare nandroid will take up 100-150mb depending on your ROM, mine are about 500mb with all my apps and shit. Its a complete copy of your phone.

Upvote 0
And you cant do a nandroid backup without an sdcard, where do you expect it to save it??
Ummmm... my PC via USB?? Wouldn't that be more convenient, tons of space and don't have to worry about having extra sd cards.

So nandriod is completely useless if you have a a Galaxy nexus with no sd card slot only internal memory?
I want to back up 14gb but I only have 3gb of space left.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones