• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you play .wav file attachments?

The messaging system at the company I work for generates .wav files for voicemails and sends them as attachments. When I try to open one of these attachments, it brings up the music player, and then the music player gives an error message along the lines of "sorry, player does not support this type of audio file".

Is the only way to fix this to download some other music player? And if so, how would I set that as the default?

I found a workaround. It's probably the best we can do until an official software update. I use the service found at

Voicemail Conversions - Home

It's free, but they ask for donations. You forward them the wav file attachment, they convert it into an MPEG4 file and send it back to you. If you're using the built in email app (not the Gmail one) you know you can't forward attachments. A work around for this is to use the K9 email app from the market.

Upvote 0
Update:

There is an app on the market called Remote Wave. It costs $1.98, but it will work with the K9 email app from the market, and the Gmail app. It will not, however, work with the other built in email app on the Droid. But at least with K9 (which is free), and Remote Wave, I no longer have to use the file conversion site I listed above.

Glad you worked it out...Sorry I didn't read your first post carefully enough before...

Upvote 0
Update:

There is an app on the market called Remote Wave. It costs $1.98, but it will work with the K9 email app from the market, and the Gmail app. It will not, however, work with the other built in email app on the Droid. But at least with K9 (which is free), and Remote Wave, I no longer have to use the file conversion site I listed above.

Just a clarification, I have Remote Wave working with both Touchdown email and the native email app. This allows me to get my voicemails on the road without dialing in and the sound quality is not that bad. Well worth the $1.98 for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones