• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do you prepare for the Android Update 2.2 (Froyo)?

IxI Dan IxI

May 22, 2010
Since no one knows when the update is going to come to the Droid. Could be tomorrow or in three months..... Its all up in the air... It could happen anytime...

ANYWAYS...... What do you need to do?

Have a battery near full all the time?
Backup your Aps?
Backup contacts?

Since I am assuming you can get the update without warning, I just wanted to know what steps to take, so I can have no problems with an OTA update.

Thanks, I hope you can understand the question.

Edit: Maybe my question is too ridiculous to answer..... ? lol.

When you receive an OTA update, the operating system will notify you and give you an option to start it now or later. The system also checks the available battery life before it continues the process. So, you don't need to make sure your battery is near full all of the time (no more than usual). I say you should make sure that your battery has at least 50% charge left and make sure you plug it into a wall charger when you do the update.

As far as backing up your Apps or Contacts. Both are advisable before doing any sort of upgrade, but there has been no indication from Google that this would be necessary.

If you have connected your phone to your GMail account, then GMail should have all of your contacts (double-check this first).

If you want a list of your installed apps, there is a free app in the Market called aTrackDog (aTrackDog - track new version v3.14 Application for Android | Tools) that lets you email a list of installed apps to any address. Google also keeps track of your purchased apps, so you can always re-download those through the Market.

Of course, if you have root on your device, then you should wait until a rooted ROM is released (generally by the next day)

Reactions: global2
Upvote 0
You will get a popup asking if you want to install, so you can say "no", then do what you need to (like charge your battery), then install it.

If you do the OTA update, I don't think your Apps or Contacts will be affected, since those are stored on Google's servers. For apps, you may have to redownload, and contacts you may have to re-sync (if you need to do this due to installation, the OS will take care of the contacts automatically).

To be safe, you could force sync your contacts to make sure anyone you added on the phone is also on google's server.

Lastly, you could just root and get it sooner than with the OTA... (Unless they start the OTA REALLY soon, which I doubt!) :D

Upvote 0
When you receive an OTA update, the operating system will notify you and give you an option to start it now or later. The system also checks the available battery life before it continues the process. So, you don't need to make sure your battery is near full all of the time (no more than usual). I say you should make sure that your battery has at least 50% charge left and make sure you plug it into a wall charger when you do the update.

As far as backing up your Apps or Contacts. Both are advisable before doing any sort of upgrade, but there has been no indication from Google that this would be necessary.

If you have connected your phone to your GMail account, then GMail should have all of your contacts (double-check this first).

If you want a list of your installed apps, there is a free app in the Market called aTrackDog (aTrackDog - track new version v3.14 Application for Android | Tools) that lets you email a list of installed apps to any address. Google also keeps track of your purchased apps, so you can always re-download those through the Market.

Of course, if you have root on your device, then you should wait until a rooted ROM is released (generally by the next day)

Great infomation, thanks. I just got my droid!! I chose the Droid over the Incredible, not because I'm stupid... Its because I don't really care for the Sense UI. I heard from Verizon that the incredible isn't that incredible.

Whoops, lets not start a war on which is better...

IMO, they are both great phones, its all about personal preferences... I had to choose the droid.

You will get a popup asking if you want to install, so you can say "no", then do what you need to (like charge your battery), then install it.

If you do the OTA update, I don't think your Apps or Contacts will be affected, since those are stored on Google's servers. For apps, you may have to redownload, and contacts you may have to re-sync (if you need to do this due to installation, the OS will take care of the contacts automatically).

To be safe, you could force sync your contacts to make sure anyone you added on the phone is also on google's server.

Lastly, you could just root and get it sooner than with the OTA... (Unless they start the OTA REALLY soon, which I doubt!) :D

I am too afraid of rooting. I did jailbreak my ipod touch when I had it. But when it comes to my precious Droid, I don't want to risk having a paper weight!! LOL. But if someone made a Guide for Dumbasses, maybe id feel better about it. Who knows...

Upvote 0
Hi all, i was downloading and installing app this morning when i got the pop up for system update. I clicked yes and after restarting and beginning the extraction (screen with droid and box open with arrow) it went then in droid and exclamation point in a triangle.
I remove the battery and then restarted, booted fine but no system update in the settings / about phone / system update.

Did i miss it or will i be able to install it one day?

thanks

Upvote 0
Hi all, i was downloading and installing app this morning when i got the pop up for system update. I clicked yes and after restarting and beginning the extraction (screen with droid and box open with arrow) it went then in droid and exclamation point in a triangle.
I remove the battery and then restarted, booted fine but no system update in the settings / about phone / system update.

thanks

What os was you running prior to the system update prompt? 2.01 or 2.1?
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
When I got the 2.1 OTA back in April all I did was click okay. Once it was done everything was fine with my phone. There was no affect on my apps, settings, contacts, etc. Even my homepages were still set up. It was nothing like when us rooted users switch to a new build and have to basically from scratch. I'm assuming this OTA update will work similarly.

Upvote 0

thanks

Why did you remove your battery? Did the phone lockup? When you receive an OTA update and accept it, just let the phone take care of the rest.

Upvote 0

Better yet, go to AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market and register with the website. Then install the AppBrain app on your phone. Open the app and choose Manage My Apps. Then click Sync with AppBrain. It will sync your installed apps with the website database.

Then, if you ever have to do a hard reset or somehow wipe all your data or whatever, just install the AppBrain app and sync with AppBrain. It will take you to a page where you simply touch Perform Installs and it will automatically take you to each market install page for each app. It is super simple and works great.

I can install apps from any computer using AppBrain and if I ever change to a different Android phone, I don't have to search and hunt for each and every app I have. AppBrain does all the hard work, all you have to do is touch install for each app.

Kratos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones