1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do you remove Rom addons?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by marff3, Feb 5, 2011.

1. marff3

marff3 Lurker

Hey all, Im running Warm TwoPointTwo RLS5 on my Evo. Ive installed a few addons via Rom manager, but now I want to remove them. How do I remove optional addons and even kernals?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. surfologist87

surfologist87 Android Expert

If you wipe cache and dalvik, you can reflash the rom and it will remove any mods youve flashed, and also any other kernel youve added.

Make sure you wipe cache and dalvik. Data is not needed. Unless youve had random problems on your phone like i did... reflashing the rom didnt fix it, and i had to wipe data-cache-dalvik and start over.

3. marff3

marff3 Lurker

I was hoping I didnt have to do that. Hopefully another release of the Warm updater will allow you to delete without reflashing. Thanks for the info though, much appreciated.

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

surfologist87 is right. Unless you made a nandroid backup, the only way to remove mods is to reflash the ROM. That will overwrite them with what the ROM originally came with. Keep in mind that you don't need to wipe data. All it will wipe out is any mods you flashed, and it will restore the stock kernel if you changed it.

The reason this is the case is because warm updater cannot just delete a mod. When you flash a mod, you're flashing modified framework files. Those files simply replace the ones that were there before. They generally include certain aspects of the current ROM (theming for example) along with the mod you want. It's like this because most things you want to change are bundled in the same framework files, and have to be flashed all at once. So, in order to remove a mod, every single mod developer would have to supply both the mod and the original framework files that were modified for the mod. That means double the flashable zips, plus the fact that some mods overwrite each other, so you'd end up wiping out other mods, more than likely. The save everyone the trouble of potentially hundreds of flashable mods, you must just reflash the ROM to remove all mods, then reapply what you wanted to keep.

5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

Yeah anytime I flash a mod I always make a nandroid backup. that way i don't have to flash or wipe anything.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews