• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do you root a PendoPad 4.0 PP4MT-7?

The Wifi drivers for the 70284XXXXX do not work in my 70285XXXX pendo pad. does someone have a pendo in this serial number series? If so, we can "PULL" the drivers out of the rom. let me know please, And I will tell you how to do this if you do not know how. Thanks for any help guys!

I've got a 70285XXX but did not read to the end of the thread and just loaded the new img. Wifi also gone. :( Need help too.

Upvote 0
I have a different model pendopad PNDPP41DG7.

If you want to try them I can upload the wifi drivers from this ...

[HIGH]/system/vendor/modules $ ls -l *bcm*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 181448 Apr 16 12:59 bcm4330.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 37897 Apr 16 12:59 bcm4330.hcd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 316736 Apr 16 12:59 bcm4330.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 741 Apr 16 12:59 bcm4330_nvram.txt
/system/vendor/modules $ cat bcm4330_nvram.txt
# bcm94330wlsdgb.txt
manfid=0x2d0
prodid=0x0552
vendid=0x14e4
devid=0x4360
boardtype=0x0552
boardrev=0x11
# this design has 2.4GHz SP3T switch
... and other crap ...
[/HIGH]

Upvote 0
Thanks for offering your help, I guess it's worth a try.

Either way, if it does not work, someone else might need them. Please could you post them as per instructions from post #108.

Thank you

# bcm94330wlsdgb.txt
manfid=0x2d0
prodid=0x0552
vendid=0x14e4
devid=0x4360
boardtype=0x0552
boardrev=0x11
... and other crap ...
[/HIGH]

Upvote 0
bcm4330 files,

On the device I zipped them with:
tar -cvz -f ~/bcm4330_wifi_drivers.tgz bcm4330*

The advantage of this is the files keep their owner, group, permissions info.

Then I zipped the tgz file into a zip to make it into an attachment here.

View attachment bcm4330_wifi_drivers.zip

1. Download zip file, into example /sdcard/Download/bcm4330_wifi_drivers.zip
2. cd /sdcard/Download/
3. unzip bcm4330_wifi_drivers.zip
4. cd /system/vendor/modules/
5. backup what you currently have:
mv bcm4330.bin bcm4330.bin.bak
mv bcm4330.hcd bcm4330.hcd.bak
mv bcm4330.ko bcm4330.ko.bak
mv bcm4330_nvram.txt bcm4330_nvram.txt.bak
6. tar -xvz -f /sdcard/Download/bcm4330_wifi_drivers.tgz

If you try it and it works, let us know which device it works on.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
G'day all,

Yes, I think it may be the system image that's the problem.
I needed to use mkuserimg.sh but left it as raw. I will try again.
Also, I messed up the boot image by using abootimg instead of mkbootimg

Will post URL's in a few hours.

I am also creating a guide on how to do this here (WIP)

This is the result of following the guide on first part of placing the PP4MT-9 stock.img in the livesuite flash kitchen in packer ics folder renamed original.img.
There is no files in the output folder.

Any ideas as to why it doesn't work and how to correct ?

Cheers,
Craig

Attachments

• Livesuite flash kitchen Cmd Capture.PNG
    Livesuite flash kitchen Cmd Capture.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0

# bcm94330wlsdgb.txt
manfid=0x2d0
prodid=0x0552
vendid=0x14e4
devid=0x4360
boardtype=0x0552
boardrev=0x11
... and other crap ...
[/HIGH]
wondering if you have a back up img file for the PNDPP41DG7

Upvote 0
hi all, i have followed all steps to root my device. but no luck. is it work with the pendo 9.7'" dual core one? The model is PP4MT9G3

i got the following message when up to the step 4 of the update procedure:

E: bad bootloader arguments
"(null)"
E:unknown volume for path [/udisk/factory_update_param.aml]
E:can't mount/udisk/factory_update_param.aml

any one can help?

Upvote 0
If anybody is still interested in solving the wi-fi issue with the 70284 series Pendo Pads, I found the easiest solution is to flash Stylez ROM, and then adb push the attached 4 files to "/vendor/modules" on the tablet.

THIS^^^^^

Just worked for me, with both my 70285XXXX devices. They've been in a box for ages and I just dusted them off and logged on here to see if there have been any breakthrough's and what do you know. I tried pushing the 4 Nand backups as posted earlier, but that just caused a freeze on loading. So I re-imaged them with Styles livesuit image again, then pushed these four files into /vendor/modules. Only trouble I had, was one of the files showed up in explorer once unzipped as [BCM40181_nvram] It took me a sec to figure out itis actually [BCM40181_nvram.txt] Had to type the full file name in the ADB Push syntax or it didn't go across.

Finally, wifi is working, and google play store installed. :):):):)

Upvote 0
Hi,
Well, glad to hear that helped somebody :) Especially with 70285 series, as that was totally unexpected.

I actually didn't expect it to work either after reading that it didn't work for others. But I figured It was worth a shot.

If anyone wants anything pulled out of mine and shared here, let me know. Both are 702850XXX, so it may just be they are early in the 702850 series.

Thanks again for the Wi-Fi drivers and the push location for them, saved my two pendo's from the bin.

Upvote 0
hi all, i have followed all steps to root my device. but no luck. is it work with the pendo 9.7'" dual core one? The model is PP4MT9G3

i got the following message when up to the step 4 of the update procedure:

E: bad bootloader arguments
"(null)"
E:unknown volume for path [/udisk/factory_update_param.aml]
E:can't mount/udisk/factory_update_param.aml

any one can help?

I have the same problem. I was able to get root access with unlockroot.com

From there, I'm stuck. The adb commands to back up the nands posted by bionics earlier didn't work (I get an error message, and the backed up files are 22 bytes in size each).

I also have a dual core pendo pad, model number PNDPP4MT9G3. Has anyone managed to get Play Store working on this model?

Upvote 0
If anybody is still interested in solving the wi-fi issue with the 70284 series Pendo Pads, I found the easiest solution is to flash Stylez ROM, and then adb push the attached 4 files to "/vendor/modules" on the tablet.

Thank you for your advice, I have 70284 series, I tried pushing your wifi files after flashing Stylez ROM's and I found the following results:

• with Stylez image titled "LiveSuite_PP4MT-7_STOCK_.img" in post #23: I was unable to adb push your files with "permission denied" error.

• with Stylez image titled "pp4mt-7-root-gapps-1mobile.img": I was able to adb push your files but wifi still not working.

• with Stylez image titled "LiveSuit_PP4MT-7_ROOT_CWMR_GAPPS_REGPON.img" in post #40: I was not able to adb push your files with "no space left on device" error.

• with Stylez image titled "LiveSuit_PP4MT-7_STOCK_sun4i_crane_MID7042.img": I was unable to adb push your files with "permission denied" error.
Did anyone got the 70284 running with wifi?

Upvote 0
with Stylez image titled "LiveSuit_PP4MT-7_ROOT_CWMR_GAPPS_REGPON.img" in post #40: I was not able to adb push your files with "no space left on device" error.

This is the .img I use. Did you install the img with "Format Install"? That's the only reason I can think of that would cause 'No Space Left on Device' error. Someone else may have another idea, though...
Regards,
Greg

Upvote 0
This is the .img I use. Did you install the img with "Format Install"? That's the only reason I can think of that would cause 'No Space Left on Device' error. Someone else may have another idea, though...
Regards,
Greg

Thank you for your prompt reply, I tried as per your advice to do "Format Install", as I understood I choose "Format" rather then "General" in the LiveSuit.

Using "adb shell df" I found the system folder with size (251 M), used (250 M), and Free(1 M).

I tried to adb push the 4 driver files: three of them went through (these file sizes are 36 K, 38 K, 1 K). Only one file has the error of "no space left on device" this file is "bcm40181_dhd.ko" with the size of (3.4 M).

Afterwards, Using "adb shell df" I found the system folder with size (251 M), used (250 M), and Free(1024 K).

I think it is matter of space, Do you know how to reduce the current used space in the system folder?

Upvote 0
I don't know if I should be putting this here or starting a new thread (can I even do that on my first post?) but I thought I would share my experience in finally getting root on my new Pendo Pad 7" (model PNDPP47GPBLU, serial 701BLU******) bought from OfficeWorks in Sydney (just in case anyone else has been having problems). All I have done is gained root, but even that ended up being a major undertaking (despite having rooted several devices with no drama in the past, and the simplicity of the steps below indicating otherwise).

I have taken ideas from lots of different posts from this forum and others, and I honestly can't remember who to thank. KomusoDroid put me on the right path with post #84 (which I followed from point 4 onwards, with one or two exceptions), djrbliss over at xda-developers provided me with the motochopper 'app', and bubbasd provided me with the link to UnlockRoot 3.1 which finally cracked the case for me.

Neither UnlockRoot 4.10 or Kingo Android Root 1.1.5 would even recognise my device, whether or not my device was 'installed' or not (per post 84 - ultimately thanks again to bubbasd), and whether or not I had usb debugging mode on or off. I can't remember where I found the idea of motochopper, but that didn't recognise my device either. However, UnlockRoot 3.1 did recognise my device but could not root it, with the error "fail to get shell root". Note, my tablet also has a reset option in settings to boot into Recovery Mode (there didn't seem to be a way to reach it manually), and none of these worked in Recovery mode either...

Ultimately, what I did such that it worked is as follows:

1. Searched Google for the latest Google usb driver package (possibly not necessary, but it couldn't hurt).
2. Unzipped the downloaded file and edited the android_winusb.inf file with the hardware id of my unknown android device.
3. Installed driver (ignored the warning about windows not being able to verify the publisher).
4. Rebooted the tablet into Recovery mode.
5. Unzipped motochopper into a new folder and installed UnlockRoot 3.1.
6. Copied (and overwrote) the following three files from the Unlockroot\tools folder to the motochopper folder: adb.exe; AdbWinApi.dll and AdbWinUsbApi.dll.
7. Ran the commands from the motochopper run.bat in an elevated command prompt.
8. It worked!

Note, this is for windows only, but as it was ultimately a case of finding a version of adb that would recognise my device and marrying it up to the rooting 'tools' from motochopper, I don't see that it would be too hard for someone not on windows to do the same. In fact, now that the process is over, I think that running a modified motochopper run.bat to use the UnlockRoot 3.1 'tools' would have worked just as well when the device was in Recovery mode. This may well work for others who simply want to root their pendo pad without applying other roms, etc. but I can't tell as I only have two of the same model (well, one blue and one white).

For anyone interested, the necessary files can be found here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0ml2ovl911LblFIdnlwRE9FcFk&usp=sharing

Upvote 0
Here is a LiveSuit Image with Full Root, CWM Recovery and GAPPS (UPDATED)
It is a two part RAR archive. Download and extract the image file.

Also, download LiveSuit Pack, extract and run LiveSuit.exe (this should install the driver for you).

Use LiveSuit and load the extracted ".img" file (press the first icon).
Make sure your tablet is off, and power and usb unplugged.

Now hold the volume down button, keep it held down and plug the USB cable in and then tap the power button about 6-8 times (tap, tap, tap). Then let go of the volume button. Nothing will appear on the tablet, but your PC should be installing the USB driver and will eventally popup a box to start the process of writing the image.

Follow the prompts and choose the "format" option so it wipes all your data.
Make a backup first if you want to keep any data on the tablet.

The fist time you boot the tablet, it will take a little longer to boot than usual, around 2 minutes.
Subsequent boots take around 40 seconds.

I have changed the boot logo and also the loading animation.
Added latest Play Store, 1Mobile, plus REGPON Wifi (keeps wifi on during sleep), Documents to Go and YouTube.
There is also a CWM Recovery image with adb access.
Everything else is stock.

The STOCK LiveSuit Image file is in comment #23.

:party:

This solution worked just fine for me. Very simple and straight forward solution and My Pendopad is working perfectly! Not only do you get Google Playstore installed and fully working with this ROM but also FULL SYNC with all Google apps (Gmail, Maps etc) as well as your contacts and calendar! Note though that Playstore lists quite a few apps (including Chrome) as "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THIS VERSION". Just just use 1Mobile instead to download those apps to your Pendopad 4

Upvote 0
This solution worked just fine for me. Very simple and straight forward solution and My Pendopad is working perfectly! Not only do you get Google Playstore installed and fully working with this ROM but also FULL SYNC with all Google apps (Gmail, Maps etc) as well as your contacts and calendar! Note though that Playstore lists quite a few apps (including Chrome) as "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THIS VERSION". Just just use 1Mobile instead to download those apps to your Pendopad 4

You can find detailed instructions here:
My Files
But use the files posted here by styelz instead.

Upvote 0
Damn these variations of the same tablet causing grief.

Just for records sake my PPMT4 7inch has the barcode 70283 and it worked with Stylez's rom.

On a side note, I'm now using CM9 on my Pendo which was an unofficial port for the Coby Kyros 7042 which also has a few versions.

After downloading the rom there is also a multi-version bootloader for download which solves the different model issues (there are 3 different models of Coby Kyros catered for I think).

Anyways I'm not sure if there is something in that which helps or this rom may be worth a shot for people having compatibility issues.

Furthermore I'm loving CM9 for my Pendo. Flawless market compatibility, google voice search works, comes with Apex interface which compliments nicely, runs very smooth for the most part.

The only think that didn't work was the rear camera (front works). My tab is in a case with no rear window anyways so it was no loss to me. Also they are pretty crap cameras anyhows.

I can confirm that styelz image worked on my 70283 as well. Though as documented, issues with compatability with some apps in Goggle Play store. Workaround by downloading those apps from 1Mobile. So Styelz ROM is working but not exactly perfectly.

Out of curiosity here is an extract of the relevant lines from my Samsung GT-I9100 Build-Prop. You will see there are 3 more lines where the model (GT-I9100) or brand (samsung) are quoted. ...

ro.product.model=GT-I9100T
ro.product.brand=samsung
ro.product.name=GT-I9100T
ro.product.device=GT-I9100T
ro.product.board=smdk4210
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product_ship=true
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

Has anyone tried to amend the Build.Prop in Styelz image to reflect the original Samsung GT-I9100 one for better compatibility in Goggle Play store? In particular, lines 2, 3 & 4 ?.

Upvote 0
I can confirm that styelz image worked on my 70283 as well. Though as documented, issues with compatability with some apps in Goggle Play store. Workaround by downloading those apps from 1Mobile. So Styelz ROM is working but not exactly perfectly.

Out of curiosity here is an extract of the relevant lines from my Samsung GT-I9100 Build-Prop. You will see there are 3 more lines where the model (GT-I9100) or brand (samsung) are quoted. ...

ro.product.model=GT-I9100T
ro.product.brand=samsung
ro.product.name=GT-I9100T
ro.product.device=GT-I9100T
ro.product.board=smdk4210
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product_ship=true
ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

Has anyone tried to amend the Build.Prop in Styelz image to reflect the original Samsung GT-I9100 one for better compatibility in Goggle Play store? In particular, lines 2, 3 & 4 ?.

What model do you have?

70283, 70284, or 70285

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones