1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How do you turn off an app when done?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by speedracer2001, Sep 20, 2011.

1. speedracer2001

None

Sep 14, 2011
    a/c mechanic, helicopter pilot
    Odessa, FL
    Hello all. Had my first big OOppps today. I used the native WHERE app to find a location. I saw the GPS symbol pop up and knew there was data being exchanged. When I was finished using the app I hit the HOME button thinking that would 'shut down' that app and GPS as I didn't need either anymore. It wasn't until some time later I noticed the GPS symbol was still active. I also noticed my battery level had been considerably reduced. For some reason the program was still active in the background using up juice. I read that Android 2 or 2.1 is supposed to shut down apps that meet certain criteria (not used or accessed within a certain time period, memory constraints, etc.). MY QUESTION then is, in the future when I am done with an app how do you make sure it shuts OFF and does not continue to utilize system resources. I wouldn't think one would have to go into settings or use an app to shut off wifi and gps every time you are done with an app. IF there is a DONE, CLOSE or FINISH selector button for WHERE please let me know where its located so I can use it next time. STILL learning and appreciate any and all information. THANKS..

Advertisement

2. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    Hitting the Home button while having an app open will leave the app running in the background.

Most apps, but not all, will close when you hit the back button (physical button on the phone next to the search button) to back out of the app.

Be sure to check the user manual that came with the phone... tons and tons of great info in there. ;)

3. lizm

lizm Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    But yeah, the back button. A couple of apps make me explicitly shut them down with a menu button but most stop with the back button.

Most apps shut off the gps when not using it too...I rarely turn it off manually.

Tags: