1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How do you turn off the mobile sites on the xoom

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by VJKotts, Feb 27, 2011.

1. VJKotts

VJKotts Member

Sorry for the noob question but how do you turn off the mobile sites in the browser. I'd rather view the full site.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. McDoogs

McDoogs Lurker

yay my first post!

Type about:debug in the browser url box

go to 'Settings'

go to 'Debug'

Select UAString, and then check the 'Desktop' option

ilovethebeach, MartinS and antojuve like this.
  3. VJKotts

VJKotts Member

Did not work. This is the browser on the Xoom that I am talking about.

4. McDoogs

McDoogs Lurker

what sites in particular keeps defaulting you to the mobile view?

5. VJKotts

VJKotts Member

Got it to work now. What needs to be done is after you type in about:debug in the browser URL, you go to the icon on the top right corner and then go to settings. Under settings you will then see the debug option.

6. McDoogs

McDoogs Lurker

Lol that's what I said :)

7. jfoey22

jfoey22 Android Enthusiast

I don't think it is working. When I go to fox news.com I get the mobile site. I just verified my settings.

8. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert

Works fine for me. Thanks! Actually helped with the typing delay on this website.

9. ScottPV

ScottPV Newbie

Use Skyfire browser.

10. jfoey22

jfoey22 Android Enthusiast

Of course, but I would rather have it work native.

11. papermonkey01

papermonkey01 Well-Known Member

Thanks!!...that really should be a button in the settings dropdown like in dolphin

12. Dunbar

Dunbar Newbie

I agree. Having to type in about:debug and go through this process every single time you restart the browser is one my least-favorite things about the Xoom.

13. roninmoto

roninmoto Newbie

I posted in the tips and tricks section a step-by-step on how to set the browser so you can surf normally. The problem I ran into is that when you close the browser, you have to go do the reset each and every time. Does anyone know of a way that the settings will stay permanetly? I find this bug very annoying and I really hope someone at google is paying attention and will fix the problem. I prefer to stick with the native browser, this should have been tested more. I not an apple fan,but Steve Jobs would have done better.

14. marctronixx

i undersrtand your frustration.

in this case you may have to use another browser. the sites i have browsed whilst in chrome have a "view this site in full mode" option. i hit that and all is well.

i know you want one button "Set and forget it" immediacy, however at this early stage in the game you may have to settle for a few workarounds until things improve.

i use skyfire too and it does not have this issue... its not fully optimized for honey yet but it is functional.

15. Mitchrapp

Mitchrapp Android Enthusiast

How does skyfire work? I used it when I owned a pad and it was very slow. Horrible experience. Nice to know it's free though, the pad one is 5 bucks.

16. etacarinae

etacarinae Newbie

hi. Just got the xoom and notice that some websites recognize it as a mobile device like my bank and don't get the full site like a desktop and don't have full access to everything.Dose anybody know if their is a fix for this....thanks :(

17. dvandam

dvandam Well-Known Member

You can set it in the stock browser with About : Debug, but you have to do that every time you reboot your device. Or you can use a browser like Dolphin HD that lets you set Desktop Mode all the time in the settings.

marctronixx and etacarinae like this.
  18. marctronixx

using the string "ipad" in the stock chrome browser will also yield you more full sit results.

19. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert

Worked for me :) BGR was always a problem...

20. nycebo

nycebo Android Enthusiast

Yeah, but why would we want even more sites thinking that we are using the evil empire's products? ;)

21. I only had to do it once. Weird.