• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How do you update your firmware once you are Rooted and S-off?

fcastro

Sep 21, 2010
Hi everyone,

I used RegawMOD method to root and S-OFF the phone. We just got the phone and I wanted to make a backup of the ROM before I started install custom ROMS. But for now I just need to run the stock rom and want to make sure I have the latest OTA which updated the firmware. I am running the default firmware as you can see below in the specs.

My question is now that TWRP is the recovery program, how do I go about updating to the latest firmware (2.13) (Obviously OTA cannot be used since the stock recovery is no longer present). Updated firmware link is here.

Question 1:Do I download the zip from the above link and just put it on my SD card and the boot into TWRP and flash?

Question 2: Is this the correct dowload? "Full Firmware zip (which includes Radio 1.12.11.0809, PRI 2.45_003 & a few other smaller updates. HBOOT.img, recovery.img (stock), and boot.img NOT included in this zip!)"
confused.gif

Specs are below:
Software information:
Android version:
HTC Sense version:
Software version:
1.13.651.1 710RD
PRI Version:
2.28_003
PRL Version:
Baseband:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte...g-dummies-guide-lazypanda-racun-unlocked.html

That link will help you to get s-off. You'll most likely be looking at the DirtyRacun section. To find out for sure you need to know what version of bootloader you have. Boot into bootloader by turning the phone off. Then hold volume down and power until the phone turns on. You should be in bootloader and the version number will be at the top. Getting s-off looks like a daunting task, but it's actually quite easy.

That is indeed the correct file you're looking for. But it does indeed require s-off. It says flash in bootloader so I'd rename it PJ75IMG.zip and put it on the root of the sd card. Then boot into bootloader (AFTER you're s-off) and bootloader will search for PJ75IMG.zip and find the one you put there. Select yes when it finds it to flash it and wait. Probably requires wiping in TWRP first, but I might be incorrect on that part. It certainly couldn't hurt.

You can still make nandroid backups since you have TWRP installed. Boot into recovery and select backup. Check all the boxes, name the backup if you want and backup your setup. This will take a snapshot of your phone as is and save it. Make sure you make a nandroid of the stock ROM and put it aside just in case you need it later. I keep my stock nandroid in my Dropbox.

If things are confusing don't hesitate to ask for help or clarification. I, or one of the fantastic people around here will be glad to help you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones