• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do you use your DInc as a GPS unit?

A.Nonymous

Extreme Android User
Jun 7, 2010
The battery in the Magellan in my car died and I didn't have a charger with me. So I pressed my DInc into service as a GPS unit. I must admit it performed remarkably well. The user interface on it wasn't as smooth as the Magellan, but the Magellan is designed to function as a GPS and only a GPS and the DInc isn't. The only problem I had with it is I couldn't see the screen as the screen was washed out in the sunlight. Is there any way to combat this? How can I use this as a GPS replacement if I can't see the screen?

Other than adding a sun shade to cover the top I'm not sure there is much you can do. I replaced my Garmin, Zune and feature phone with a smart phone to handle all three tasks. It in no way is better than a device for each task but I no longer have to spend 5 minutes hidding my devices every time I park and 5 minutes setting it all back up again.

I have my Dinc mounted on my dash away from the sun shine and I don't have a fade-out issue.

Happy 100th post to me :D

Upvote 0
This really is an issue, particularly if you drive a convertible. To improve things, you can turn the brightness to 100% and try to position your mount towards the top of the windshield so that you are able to shade it some with the sun visor.

With the top up though I really don't have too much of a problem.

Upvote 0
My GPS unit is mounted off my windshield. It hangs just below my rear view mirror so it's right at eye level and is perfect for me. I can simply glance over and see the map. Holding my DInc in the same place (while parked of course) I couldn't make out what's going on on the screen. I didn't try playing with the brightness though. I had no issues with it losing a signal and the directions it gave me were sound. I guess it's a good backup GPS if nothing else.

Upvote 0
I have a sebring convertiable, and I use my Dinc as my gps I have 2 mounts, 1 windows shied and one lower on the vents, I can see my Dinc screen perfectly whilst top is down in the lower vent mount as long as the Sun is not directly behind me. So try a lower mount, When its in windscreen mount i can see it but only just. But after all GPS talks to you, and its hooked up to my car stereo, so no real need to see the screen :p

I use Google Maps and Co-Pilot for the GPS, co pilot is very GPS friendly, alot like my old Garmin program on my omnia, which tbh I also could only see if it was on my lower mount :)

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
I have a sebring convertiable, and I use my Dinc as my gps I have 2 mounts, 1 windows shied and one lower on the vents, I can see my Dinc screen perfectly whilst top is down in the lower vent mount as long as the Sun is not directly behind me. So try a lower mount, When its in windscreen mount i can see it but only just. But after all GPS talks to you, and its hooked up to my car stereo, so no real need to see the screen :p

I use Google Maps and Co-Pilot for the GPS, co pilot is very GPS friendly, alot like my old Garmin program on my omnia, which tbh I also could only see if it was on my lower mount :)

Hope this helps

I looked up Co-pilot and it's a $30 app. I can't justify spending that when I've got a working GPS already. I think I'll just use the DInc as a backup GPS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones