1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support How do you use your DInc as a GPS unit?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by A.Nonymous, Jul 6, 2010.

1. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    The battery in the Magellan in my car died and I didn't have a charger with me. So I pressed my DInc into service as a GPS unit. I must admit it performed remarkably well. The user interface on it wasn't as smooth as the Magellan, but the Magellan is designed to function as a GPS and only a GPS and the DInc isn't. The only problem I had with it is I couldn't see the screen as the screen was washed out in the sunlight. Is there any way to combat this? How can I use this as a GPS replacement if I can't see the screen?

Advertisement

2. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Other than adding a sun shade to cover the top I'm not sure there is much you can do. I replaced my Garmin, Zune and feature phone with a smart phone to handle all three tasks. It in no way is better than a device for each task but I no longer have to spend 5 minutes hidding my devices every time I park and 5 minutes setting it all back up again.

I have my Dinc mounted on my dash away from the sun shine and I don't have a fade-out issue.

Happy 100th post to me :D

3. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Male
    Fed
    This really is an issue, particularly if you drive a convertible. To improve things, you can turn the brightness to 100% and try to position your mount towards the top of the windshield so that you are able to shade it some with the sun visor.

With the top up though I really don't have too much of a problem.

4. A.Nonymous

Jun 7, 2010
    My GPS unit is mounted off my windshield. It hangs just below my rear view mirror so it's right at eye level and is perfect for me. I can simply glance over and see the map. Holding my DInc in the same place (while parked of course) I couldn't make out what's going on on the screen. I didn't try playing with the brightness though. I had no issues with it losing a signal and the directions it gave me were sound. I guess it's a good backup GPS if nothing else.

5. contagous

contagous Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    Gfx Design / Network Engineer
    Seattle WA
    I have a sebring convertiable, and I use my Dinc as my gps I have 2 mounts, 1 windows shied and one lower on the vents, I can see my Dinc screen perfectly whilst top is down in the lower vent mount as long as the Sun is not directly behind me. So try a lower mount, When its in windscreen mount i can see it but only just. But after all GPS talks to you, and its hooked up to my car stereo, so no real need to see the screen :p

I use Google Maps and Co-Pilot for the GPS, co pilot is very GPS friendly, alot like my old Garmin program on my omnia, which tbh I also could only see if it was on my lower mount :)

Hope this helps

6. FramCire

FramCire Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Turning brightness to Max has always worked well for me.

Dazzle is a nice custom widget to have a 1 touch for brightness (and others)

7. A.Nonymous

Jun 7, 2010
    I looked up Co-pilot and it's a $30 app. I can't justify spending that when I've got a working GPS already. I think I'll just use the DInc as a backup GPS.