1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How does a noobi get a video onto the Dinc?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by notaguru, Jun 3, 2011.

1. notaguru

notaguru Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    S Cal
    This rooted Dinc is terrific and stable, and now boasts a 16GB SD card. I've never put a video on a smartphone, but assume there's a process including configuration/conversion.

Where do I get a movie to convert, and what tool(s) do I use before putting it onto that card?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. offanairplane

offanairplane Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    TX
    You can do it the same way you put any file on the phone.
    Plug it into a usb port on your computer, and there should be a screen pop up on the phone asking you what you want to use that usb connection for. You will select use as a hard disk.

Then go to your drives on the computer and you should see two new drives. One will be your microSD card on your phone, and the other will be the phone's internal memory. You can drag and drop your movie file to either one of those locations, assuming there is enough free space to do so.

I think the player will do MPEG's and probably AVI's. I'm sure there are others, but I can't say right off which ones. I would try it and if it won't work, then I would worry about converting it at that point.

There are lots of places to get digital movie files. iTunes, Amazon, etc.
    That is up to you. If you have a Netflix account, you can even stream movies on your phone, via the Netflix app, without actually downloading them to your phone, which saves your memory. There are other online movie sites as well, like Hulu, for example. I think that is the way most people watch movies on their phones. I don't think very many people just actually copy movies to their phone's memory, because they take up a ton of memory. But I don't really watch movies on my phone so I can't say for sure.

3. nfotiu

nfotiu Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    Itunes, amazon, etc, are drm'd and won't work on your phone.

Use a program like hand brake to convert to iphone format is a quick, reliable way to do it.

Actually, outside of streaming netflix, and maybe some other streaming, there is no real legitimate way right now to get a movie onto an incredible.

Google is changing that, with the addition of movie rentals in the android market. They should be available to phones very soon. Doesn't appear to work on rooted devices though.

4. sweeds

sweeds Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    The default Dinc charger is USB compatible and you can plug it directly into a USB-port on your Mac or PC.

On your phone, go to Setting > Connect to PC > USB connection type > Default Connection type.

It is here where you can select how your computer will recognize your phone. If you select Disk Drive, it will mount your phone just like any other memory storage device you would use with your computer. Here you can also set the Dinc to ask you every time you plug it in, or always use the default.

5. notaguru

None

Apr 22, 2010
    S Cal
    I have no problem getting files onto the Dinc. The problem is finding movies, and then converting them into a format that the Dinc's video player can use.

6. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    "rock player" (in the market) can play nearly every video format that exists. No conversion necessary.

7. notaguru

None

Apr 22, 2010
    S Cal
    I have some movies on DVD. They're my own, no problems or restriction, but they're each several gigabytes to accommodate the pixels required by a large-screen television set.

How can I reduce the size of those files to something appropriate to my Dinc?

8. sdrawkcab25

None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA

For that situation, you need a program that can copy them from the dvd onto your hard drive. There is plenty of programs that can do it, but no good ones that I've found are free. But I also haven't looked in a while.

9. notaguru

None

Apr 22, 2010
    S Cal
    When I'm about to go on a long flight, I copy a couple of movies to my hard drive - no problem. But there must be a way to shrink a movie from 4-5GB to something appropriate for the Dinc.

10. sdrawkcab25

None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA

Yeah there is a bunch of compression type software out there, but like I said, none that I know of are free. A google search will lead you in the right direction.

http://techlighten.com/guide/compress-high-quality-3gp-videos-for-mobiles-guide/

http://www.xilisoft.com/mobile-video-converter.html