• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How does Android handle data?

exoduster18

Jun 8, 2010
All,

I have just gotten my first Android based device, the HTC Droid Incredible.

I am not new to the world of smartphones (I have owned a Blackberry and have worked on many other Blackberries), but I am new to the whole world of Android.

I really do like it so far, but I have a question...

How does Android handle data? What I mean by this question is this: Does Android use a store and forward approach to sending data (emails)? Or does it send it out and if it doesn't have a good connection, it will just fail out, never to try again?

And based on the fact that it uses data, I also assume that it will never lose it's data connection even though a cell phone tower might be buried under voice calls?

The reason I ask this is because during 9/11, many people's cell phones could not make or receive calls but those who had some of the first Blackberries were able to send and receive emails just fine due to the store and forward approach.

Also, another reason is that this device will be used in a SHTF type of situation due to it's capabilities and I want to make sure that it will work with data (sending emails), although I may not be able to make voice calls with it.

Any info at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones