• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How does canceling service work?

rahuldang

Jun 3, 2010
Hi i bought an evo last friday (june 4th) and received it Monday June 7th, and now a week later i would like to return it because of the light leakage problem im having at the bottom of my screen. my question is, i came from t-mobile, and ported my number and with that had to pay 100$ ETF, what would happen? as in, if i cancel my service, would i go back to tmobile with the same number and the ETF would be revoked? or what would happen exactly? thanks a ton

You should not have ported your number from T-Mobile. Whenever I try a new phone (which is not that often), I always sign up and get a new number, leaving my old number active on the old carrier.

When I tried the EVO, I kept my number on Verizon, and got a new number from Sprint. I then forwarded my Verizon number to the new Sprint number, so that incoming calls would go to the EVO. If I had kept the EVO, at some future date, I would then call Sprint and have my Verizon number ported over, which would close the Verizon account, and the EVO would then have my old Verizon number.

I returned the EVO due to battery and data connectivity issues, which canceled the new Sprint account, with no penalty of ETF. Went back to my Verizon phone.

In your case, Sprint will not charge you to return the EVO and cancel the account, however, before you do this, you need to port your number to another provider (T-Mobile, Verizon, etc), in order to not lose your number.
If you simply cancel your Sprint account and return the EVO, your number will go back into the pool of numbers available to someone else.

Upvote 0
I ported back to AT&T last week. The steps you want to do are:

1) Contact T-mobile and figure out what the port-back process is and have them note the account that you're going to do it. Ask if there are any fees, ect. (shouldn't be).

2) Return the EVO to the place you bought it.

3) Go to a T-mobile store and have them get you set up again on your old account. You could probably do it over the phone without being at a store, but just in case it's nice to be at one. They will port your number back from Sprint.

When I went back to AT&T it was a non-issue. It was actually easier and quicker to port back then it was to port to sprint. :p

Reactions: rahuldang
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones