• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How does Google contacts work?

spman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2013
I want to store contacts in my Google account.

I am wondering how does Google contacts work if I turn off mobile data?

Is it that Sync is a must to do so that Google account all contacts will appear in your phone and stored inside the phone, so you can use the contacts even if you cannot connect to the internet or turn off mobile data?

I heard of syncing, does it mean just turn on the "Sync" button at Samsung S4 dropdown notification menu and the Google account contacts will become same as the Google account contacts in the phone?

If I enter a new contact number in my phone, do I need to turn on mobile data?

Thanks.

When making a call to a contact we are actually accessing to the Google contacts that is on the phone (that are synced from Google account contacts) and not directly accessing to Google contacts in Google account?

When you are using/adding/deleting/editing Google contacts information on the phone, it is actually using the set of Google contacts in the phone (that are synced from Google account contacts) and not directly accessing to Google contacts in Google account?

Upvote 0
I always have sync on. I don't always have mobile data or wifi on, but I usually do. You can still access your contact list when you're not online, but any changes made from the server side won't be reflected until you connect.

Yes, that sync button in the drop down enables it. For more specific controls, such as time intervals, go into Settings and then Accounts.

Reactions: spman
Upvote 0
I always have sync on. I don't always have mobile data or wifi on, but I usually do. You can still access your contact list when you're not online, but any changes made from the server side won't be reflected until you connect.

Yes, that sync button in the drop down enables it. For more specific controls, such as time intervals, go into Settings and then Accounts.

Where do you see specific controls, such as time intervals? I go into Settings and then Accounts, did not it there.

Upvote 0
I'll jump in here with a sort of related question on Contacts: It seems a phone has access to multiple Contact databases.

I have a gmail account linked to the phone and that account is associated at Google with other accounts. I'm always confused about how it links these accounts as far as finding contacts.

And when I connect my phone to my car via Bluetooth, it seems to be accessing at least two different Contacts databases. Where are these? Do apps have access to all of that data?

As a newb Android developer I understand Intents - I'm just wondering if somehow there might be multiple Activities of the Contact app responding to requests for Contact data, maybe with different databases ... if that's at all possible.

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones