• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How does HTC Hero fare against iPhone 3G/3GS

Hey!

I know there's been few threads similar to this one, however what I wanna know is from a technical point of view how does Hero's MSM7200A (from what I've found USA Hero runs on MSM7201A which is slightly slower than the European MSM7200A, but I have a European one so that's the one I'm keen on) with its built in GPU acceleration (Qualcomm Adreno 130 or is it ATI Imageon+ GPU) fare against Apple iPhone 3G & iPhone 3GS in terms of graphics speed, capabilities and/or power?

I've searched all over the internet (well, as fas as I could google at least) & found nothing relevant apart from shady information that supposedly Hero can draw 4 millions triangles/second, iPhone 3G 3 millions triangles/second & iPhone 3GS 22 millions triangles/second. No relevant information on pixels per second, I couldn't confirm which of these two if either is a GPU chip in Hero (they also may be one and same), what GPU chip is in 3G & 3GS and how do they compare to each other. What I've written above is what I could scoop out of seprate websites, so I am also not sure of that data either...

So, does anyone know how fast these devices are in relation to each other?

My partner has a 3G iPhone I have a Hero... The iPhone runs smoother then my hero on my standard ROM, however... iPhone only runs one app at a time Hero multi apps, is more custermisable, gives you more options for how you manage your phone.

The 2 are incomparable imo, either get spoon fed by Apple, or be free'd by Android.

Upvote 0
My partner has a 3G iPhone I have a Hero... The iPhone runs smoother then my hero on my standard ROM, however... iPhone only runs one app at a time Hero multi apps, is more custermisable, gives you more options for how you manage your phone.

The 2 are incomparable imo, either get spoon fed by Apple, or be free'd by Android.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a Hero already. I'm only interested in how these three phones compare number-wise in terms of pure Graphics proccessing power in games and applications. ^__^

Upvote 0
The Hero is a great phone. But it does have its flaws.

Hopefully with Android taking off as it is, we won't have to wait long to more Android devices with a GPU (e.g. PowerVR SGX .. .Like the iPhone has) thus enabling proper OpenGL ES 2.0 support. The Milestone has one. Nice !

I want proper 3D games like the iPhone has. So until we get proper GPU's in our Android devices we are still lagging behind in some ways to the iPhone.

The Motorola Droid’s GPU, a PowerVR SGX 530 is similar to that of the iPhone 3GS yet with no proper application storage capability it seems quite a waste and one that will make sure the Motorola Droid isn’t an iPhone Killer.

Kind of sums my thoughts up really... We need at least 8GB internal memory as standard (My N95 had this 4 years back). So 32GB should be the norm. That is why we don't have iPhone type games & as apps2sd is unofficial people won't make games like the iPhone for Android.

Also the Milestone is relatively new compared to the iPhone 3Gs yet the 3GS has a PowerVR SGX535 GPU whereas the Milestone has an older PowerVR SGX530 GPU. oMg !!!11!!!1

That's pretty poor too.

As much as I hate to say it there are some features of the iPhone that would not go a miss on an Android device.

Also we need a music equaliser !!1!1 Argghhh :mad:

Otherwise I love my Android phone. Hero ftw.

Upvote 0
The Hero is a great phone. But it does have its flaws.

Hopefully with Android taking off as it is, we won't have to wait long to more Android devices with a GPU (e.g. PowerVR SGX .. .Like the iPhone has) thus enabling proper OpenGL ES 2.0 support. The Milestone has one. Nice !

(...)

As much as I hate to say it there are some features of the iPhone that would not go a miss on an Android device.

Also we need a music equaliser !!1!1 Argghhh :mad:

Otherwise I love my Android phone. Hero ftw.

I kinda realised we're way behind 3GS, cause that's what the info I could get to was pointing to. However I heard that regular 3G did not had that acceleration chip inside & like my Hero was stuck with a minor OpenGL 1.0/1.1 acceleration. I still would love know how it all looks in numbers. Anyway, I'm stuck with this contract for another year and a half anyway, so unless I get my next mobile unlocked I'm gonna sit quietly and wait to see what's future Android devices will have to offer. ^__^

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones