1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How does it hold up w/o a case?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dabrador, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Dabrador

Dabrador Android Enthusiast

Just got my Razr MAXX HD and really don't want to put it in a case. For those that have had theirs for a while and don't have a case, how has it held up? Any issues or problem areas?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Methos1979

Methos1979 Android Enthusiast

I suppose it depends on how hard you are on your phones. Like you, I did not want to put my RMHD in a case. It's too good looking and just the right size without a case. The kevlar back should make it at lease somewhat durable you would think, right?

Anyway, I've had mine since October of last year with no case of any kind, just a cheap Verizon screen protector and the phone still looks brand-spanking new. Of course, I'm also an older guy that keeps his phone in his shirt pocket and doesn't abuse or drop the phone in any way. But so far, it's held up really well.

Dabrador likes this.
  3. Dabrador

Dabrador Android Enthusiast

Same here...suit and tie guy that keeps his phone in suit pocket and on a desk. Glad to know that it holds up well.

4. I think you will find if you ever try it without a screen protector you will never go back. It is hard to explain.

... Thom

5. ardchoille

ardchoille Android Expert

I have neither case nor screen protector on my month-old Razr HD and it's still in pristine condition.

6. New Rising

New Rising Android Enthusiast

I put a case on all my phones, I don't like taking the chance.

7. PowrDroid

PowrDroid Well-Known Member

Had mine since early December and been naked the while time--no case, no screen protector. I keep my phone in my front pants pocket along with my keys (only have 4 keys). I make sure I slide it in there with the screen against my thigh and camera window oriented up so keys at bottom of pocket can't contact screen or camera area.

Now that you have prompted me to examine it I do have two very small nicks on the backside (Kevlar) edge near the HDMI port. They are so small I have to hold the phone just so in the light in order to see them.

Considering I keep it in my pocket with my keys I think it's held up superbly.

8. pegs520

pegs520 Well-Known Member

I had a screen protector for a month, but got sick of it.

I do use a little pouch-like case. I like them, especially if I have shorts without pockets. I can just clip em to the waistband.

9. jimburn69

jimburn69 Member

The only problem is if you do happen to drop it and put a small scratch or ding on it you will not be able to get it replaced.

10. dhbuckley

dhbuckley Well-Known Member

I'm otterbox all the way because I do drop it. When you say that you can't get it replaced if it has dings, what do you mean? Replaced by who for what reason?

11. Stealthman

Stealthman Android Enthusiast

No case, I tried several and hated the way they felt and they all made the phone too bulky. I have the Best Buy geek squad protection plan, I can smash the phone and they will replace it

12. jimburn69

jimburn69 Member

If your phone stops working for some reason Verizon will replace your it. However if there are minor scratches or dings on the body or screen they will not replace it.I dropped my Bionic and had some very small dings on the bezel and they would not replace it when it started not working.I had to send phone to Motorola for repair. Some cases are very thin and are very easy to put on, and remove.

13. cman1414

cman1414 Member

i have just a slim flat black case and threw my phone across the room on a hard floor with just a little dent on the metal ring around the screen.
    Its rage and teen proof!

14. jtc303

jtc303 Android Enthusiast

I hate cases and screen protectors so I never use them... mine has held up great it still looks brand new... but that won't be the case for everyone... kind of like with cars... some people manage to keep theirs scratch free and looking brand new, others have a hard time... it all depends on what type of user you are... this is my third smartphone and I've never used cases or screen protectors - without issue

||MaxxHD||

15. budfox66

budfox66 Well-Known Member

Had mine for months, no screen protector, no scratches. I have a case that I use half the time, just to keep the phone from slipping out of my back pocket but I would not otherwise use the case.

16. finndo77

finndo77 Android Expert

I only use cases on phone where the battery can pop out if you drop it...

I've always used screen protectors, since my Dell pda back in 2003 got a scratch on its screen after I dropped it in my front pants pocket with my keys and then sat in a position that stretched the pocket tight. It is like birth control, you can take the risk all you want, but it only takes once to make you wish you had used one. At least phone damage is something you only have to live with for a short while...

That said, I have not put a protector on my RAZR HD yet. I've had it for 5 days, plan on getting something for it soon, and I've never had any unplanned consequences from not using birth control.

I've owned 9 cell phones over the last 15 years, not including replacements, and I've had 3 with cracked or broken screens (never broke a replacement for a broken screen either). I do not believe a screen protector has prevented any of my devices from broken screens, they have protected 3 from scratched screens, an I've saved at least 4 phones from sudden death by having a case on it (normally just a gel cover).

Motorola Droid RAZR HD / MAXX HD Forum

The Motorola Droid RAZR HD / MAXX HD release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 3300mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews