• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How does my VZW plan work while in Europe?

monsterenergy22

Android Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009
sosquad.net
This summer I am going to four different countries in Europe for a vacation. I was planning on bringing my Droid to mainly take pics/videos, listen to my music, and send some texts. Maybe make 1 or 2 emergency calls and thats about it. I know we have the NATIONWIDE SELECT FAMILY SHARE SECONDARY 2100 plan, but not sure how that will carry out in Europe. I need to go into Verizon to make sure, but was hoping to get a idea of how it will work out there from here. Do I get charged out the rear for anything I do, data, texts, calls? Thanks for your help!

My parents are from India, and they just found pre-paid phones right around the airport on New Delhi. Same should apply in Europe, as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Was it expensive since it was near the airport? Things tend to be more expensive when they are near or in the airport.

couldn't he use skype to make a call or send a message? as long as he can connect to an internet source right?
If I remember correctly, Skype won't work with WiFi.

Upvote 0
Don't mean to bump an old thread of mine, but I leave next week and just wanted to clarify a few things. Where do I buy a pre paid phone when I get there? OR could I just get one here and switch SIM cards? I honestly don't know anything about GSM or SIM cards so I have no idea how it works or what I do.
You can get both Phones and sim cards right in the airport in vending machines.
OR
You can them on 'High Street' aka the towns market street. 'Handy`s/Mobiles are EVERYWHERE. You can't help but run into a shop selling them.
Cheap phone and sim will run you about $30-50 USD. Be very aware of costs on the plan. eg a 20

Upvote 0
I've been traveling internationally for years. Most of the comments above are essentially correct. However, IMHO, a better approach is to purchase an "unlocked" GSM quad-band phone while you are still in the US. Why quad band? If you go to another country that is not supported on a frequency supported by your phone, you're out of luck. Here's the deal:

There are 2 frequency "bands" used by GSM services in the US. However, 2 entirely different bands are used by GSM services elsewhere in the world. If possible, you will want to purchase a phone that can work on all four bands - these are quad-band phone. If you purchase a "tri-band" phone as a second best choice, be careful which three bands your phone has. It simply depends on where you travel. Again, cover the possibilities, and purchase a quad-band phone upfront. If this sounds complicated, it's not. The only issue here is that not all countries are operating on the same band / frequency.

The GSM community has a website that will tell you what countries is operating on what frequency. If you buy a quad-band phone, it won't matter. http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml.

So...researching the above information for where you'll be traveling, as a suggestion, purchase an unlocked GSM phone from either an eBay seller or Amazon.com. The phone I like best I purchased on eBay for about $30. (Or purchase from a seller you feel comfortable with. Some Mom and Pop local stores...if you can find one...may have a new or used phone that is either already unlocked, or they will unlock for you. Generally, an AT&T or T-Mobile store will not sell you an unlocked phone. But, you can check)

If possible, purchase a Sim Card in the US. Sim Cards don't give you "minutes", but they are necessary for operation of a GSM phone. My experience, most eBay sellers don't normally provide)

With phone in hand, get your hotel to recommend a nearby cellular store. (Yes, there are always vendors in the airport, but do you want a potentially expensive ride back to the airport if you encounter a problem?). With a fully charged phone in hand, show the store your phone and request a prepaid card with the appropriate minutes you require. You will get a phone number for your phone. Ask the store for help in terms of how to call your number, both locally, and from the US (or other country). If possible, have them call your now working phone. You also have the number of the store in case you have questions. (Yes, these stores will also sell you a phone, and there may be something to be said for piece of mind if you have a problem or need support. In my opinion, expect to pay $100-$300 for a phone, sim card, and a prepaid minutes card. You decide)

Lastly...my experiences. I have never bought a phone thru Amazon, but lots of folks recommend it. It seems like I buy everything else thru Amazon. I have purchased 4 unlocked GSM phones on eBay. No, none of the phones came with a Sim Card. (I purchased in the US from T-Mobile) 2 phone were Tri-Band; the 2 other were Quad Band. Of the 4 phones, 2 had absolutely no problems. 1 phone would not boot properly, and I returned it. One phone was not unlocked, and I had to have it unlocked in the FarEast. (The closest cellular dealer near my hotel charged me $30 US). Of the 2 phones that had issues, I got a refund from the sellers without requiring a protest to PayPal.

Sorry this was so long. Hope it helped someone. As someone would say YMMV (You're mileage/experience may vary)

Good luck....and plan ahead with this purchase. I believe in always keeping a GSM unlocked phone "around".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones