• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How does T-Mobile check for warranty

mols

Oct 18, 2015
I have a "Certified Pre-Owned" Nexus 5. There is a hardware defect (no vibration). I had rooted the phone on 5.1.1 with KingRoot, but now it is unrooted. Now, there is almost no trace of any tampering, except that OTAs cannot be installed because there was something unexpected found in the system partition. Will T-Mobile be able to check the system partition? Will unrooting remove any other trace of system tampering? And I'd also really like an explanation of how T-Mobile checks software.

I've only had one Nexus(6) & all you have to do on that device is re-install the factory firmware via ADB & the phone was exactly as it arrived out-of-the-box.
You should be able to do the same w/your phone.
I really don't want to unlock the bootloader or do anything of that sort that involves tampering with the device.... I understand that it may be a guaranteed solution if it works, but I'm not very experienced in this field, and the risks are too large. What I'd like to know is will T-Mobile take in my phone as is? (With warranty and all)

Upvote 0
I can't say for certain what T-Mobile will do,but,that Kingroot left some garbage on your phone & the only way to ensure that it is gone is to re-flash the firmware & then re-lock the bootloader.
I'm willing to bet you could take your device to a local shop & explain your situation & they'll be able to do this for you in a matter of minutes for a relatively small fee.
Then,before you send it off for repair,check the vibrator for functionality.That Kingroot may have interfered w/it.

Reactions: Slammed01
Upvote 0
I can't say for certain what T-Mobile will do,but,that Kingroot left some garbage on your phone & the only way to ensure that it is gone is to re-flash the firmware & then re-lock the bootloader.
I'm willing to bet you could take your device to a local shop & explain your situation & they'll be able to do this for you in a matter of minutes for a relatively small fee.
Then,before you send it off for repair,check the vibrator for functionality.That Kingroot may have interfered w/it.
I'm sure it's not a software issue as the phone may vibrate once in a while. This supports the possibility that the vibration motor is loose and moving around. By local shop, do you mean T-Mobile or 3rd party? If 3rd party, I'm reluctant to do that because that will guarantee a void warranty. If T-Mobile, once again, do you think that they will take in my phone? So there is garbage in the system partition. Will T-Mobile really be able to access this without tampering the device themselves? I just would like to know what T-Mobile does to inspect the device. To me, reflashing is waaay too complex for me at the moment. I just want to know if T-Mobile will really go out of their way to inspect my phone.

Also, about that app you suggested, do I need to be rooted first?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't work for T-Mobile, so, I can't say for certain.
But, I would assume yes, they can tell.
You've already crossed that line by rooting, which leads me to wonder why the apprehension regarding restoring the device.
If you take it to a non T-Mobile shop to have the original firmware flashed, it will be in the exact condition as the day you received it.
Then, your concerns regarding T-Mobile detecting tampering are moot.

Give the app that I linked a shot.
Can't hurt & FWIW, the app & developer are known in the mod community to be trustworthy/legit.

Upvote 0
I gue
I don't work for T-Mobile, so, I can't say for certain.
But, I would assume yes, they can tell.
You've already crossed that line by rooting, which leads me to wonder why the apprehension regarding restoring the device.
If you take it to a non T-Mobile shop to have the original firmware flashed, it will be in the exact condition as the day you received it.
Then, your concerns regarding T-Mobile detecting tampering are moot.

Give the app that I linked a shot.
Can't hurt & FWIW, the app & developer are known in the mod community to be trustworthy/legit.
Do I need root first to use the app?

Upvote 0
You might,I was considering that possibility.
If you were wanting another option,check out this tool kit,it's supposed to be fairly straightforward:
http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

If you need more info,there's a lot of users in the Nexus5 root section here:
http://androidforums.com/forums/root-nexus-5.2453/
http://androidforums.com/threads/nexus-5-rooting-guide.790362/
Hm, actually, I might go for the root toolkit. I'm just really worried that my phone may become bricked. Is there a guide for the NRT and prerequisites?

Upvote 0
Yes, it worked! Thank you so much for your help, and sorry if I may have come across as stubborn or rude. It's just that I've had bad experience with this in the past.... Just look look at my posting history (haha).
So let me get this straight: Now that I have flashed stock, and proved an unaltered system partition through OTA, along with a locked bootloader and a "false" value for the tamper flag, my phone should be absolutely warranty covered, at least software wise. Probably a stupid question, but OTA does not void warranty right, even though it is sort of changing the software (albeit in an official way)? I just want to be 100% sure on all of these things, as again, I had a bad experience in the past and this is the first and (hopefully) only time I have ever needed to actually use warranty. But I'm glad that the option you gave me worked!

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Yes, it worked! Thank you so much for your help, and sorry if I may have come across as stubborn or rude. It's just that I've had bad experience with this in the past.... Just look look at my posting history (haha).
So let me get this straight: Now that I have flashed stock, and proved an unaltered system partition through OTA, along with a locked bootloader and a "false" value for the tamper flag, my phone should be absolutely warranty covered, at least software wise. Probably a stupid question, but OTA does not void warranty right, even though it is sort of changing the software (albeit in an official way)? I just want to be 100% sure on all of these things, as again, I had a bad experience in the past and this is the first and (hopefully) only time I have ever needed to actually use warranty. But I'm glad that the option you gave me worked!

It's all good,that's why we're all here! :thumbsupdroid:
You're all set,no worries how you loaded the update/OTA.
Your device is in out-of -box condition,there is no reason for T-Mobile to invalidate the warranty.
Now,get that sucka' in the mail before the 90 DAY period sneaks up on ya................... ;)

Reactions: mols
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones