• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Far Will The Evo Update

zackman2091

Mar 21, 2010
How far do you guys think that the evo will go, obv it can handle 2.2 but how much more could it handle i had the hero b4 and was pissed that i bought it and right after they said that it wouldnt be getting any other updates so how far will the evo make it? i know its a great phone but how far

Supposedly the 2.2 release stabilizes the API so there shouldn't be any more fragmentation issues. I would suspect at least another update, as it is a pretty powerful phone. I'm not really worried about that, though, as the true power of the device comes with the apps. I'm really looking forward to Hulu (or Hulu+), Netflix streaming, and Skype video calls. Those will all be more important to me than an OS upgrade. The other major thing that I'm looking forward to is getting 4G in my area (metro Detroit). Getting those items will keep the Evo fresh and exciting throughout my 2 year contract.
So far I am very happy with the Evo and Sprint. Keep up the great work, HTC and Sprint!

Upvote 0
Because thats lame compared to pages and pages of speculation. And I'm not being sarcastic.

I was thinking that the other day myself. I'm not computer tech, but what kind of OS could they create that a phone with the Evo's specs couldn't handle?

No I understand, obvioiusly everyone wants to know how long the device will be valid for. IMO I think at some point hardware and capability are no longer a factor. HTC has a huge product line, and I think that at some point it doesn't make financial sense to continue investing into devices when they have newer, more highly marketed devices in use. It's not a question of what the phone can support, more a question of how long will HTC be willing to invest money in a device after it's not in the top 3 of their product line...

And as far as power and capability, most the information I have read indicates that though there will continue to be slightly faster, slightly more efficient processors, at some point the speed and power reaches a limit, this limit is tied to the technology we have in batteries. So unless a major battery breakthrough occurs, I think the Evo will always be within reach of the fastest, most capable devices.

Upvote 0
IMO I think at some point hardware and capability are no longer a factor... at some point the speed and power reaches a limit, this limit is tied to the technology we have in batteries.

Totally agree here. For instance, here are specs from a PC I bought new in 2005:

INTEL PENTIUM 4 processor 550 - 3.4GHZ
500gb harddrive
1024MB DDR memory

Here's one on Best Buy's site right now:

Intel

Reactions: tomhagen
Upvote 0
I was just about to start a thread on this, good thing I saw this one 1st. This question has been on my mind also of how far will the EVO go and I hope HTC will build on the EVO name just like apple have 4 series of the Iphone, i'm tired of jumping from phone to phone. I would think the next EVO should hopefully have a 2ghz cpu since I read motorola is coming out with that

Motorola Android 2ghz

Upvote 0
Why would I care. Sprint premier customer. By June 5, 2011. I will own the next best thing. As I will do June 5 the following year. $200 just not too much to stop me from getting next years best thing.

So again, why would I care? All I care is Evo perfect today.

I like your style. I get so anxious sometimes I call Sprint after 6 months and force them to give me an upgrade.

I carry major buying power being a Premier customer for 5 years having multiple accounts with many, many lines.

Upvote 0
I like your style. I get so anxious sometimes I call Sprint after 6 months and force them to give me an upgrade.

I carry major buying power being a Premier customer for 5 years having multiple accounts with many, many lines.

cookie.gif

Reactions: philly0128
Upvote 0
Joppie, I don't think you understand processors. The i5 has five cores runningat 3.2ghz, that is 15 times the power you had five years ago. When a dual core mobile CPU in widely available the game will change.

FYI - the core i5-650 you are referring to is dual core (two physical cores) and has Hyperthreading support, for a total of four processing threads.

Upvote 0
FYI - the core i5-650 you are referring to is dual core (two physical cores) and has Hyperthreading support, for a total of four processing threads.
Regardless, a core i5 is vastly more powerful than a Pentium 4 running at the same clock speed.

While I think battery technology will continue to be a limiting factor in mobile phone development, it's naive to think that the EVO will stay near the top of the performance chart for more than a year or so.

It was only 3 years ago I thought my Nokia N95 was the bee's knees, and it was only 2 years ago that the iPhone 3G was blowing my mind.

Upvote 0
Before this thread gets entirely out of hand, I'd like to chime in that despite Google trying to explain to the contrary that recommended specs for 3.0 are not the same as required specs, the blogsters just will not let the hell up.

Android Gingerbread Rumors Dismissed By Google on Twitter

And yet, only an hour ago....

We Just Caught the Gingerbread OS! (Android)

To be blunt - let's think Android instead of Androne before we take on the appearance of a Mac rumors site.

Google's own phone (now discontinued), the Nexus One, uses the 1 GHz Snapdragon 8250. Ours uses the Snapdragon 8650. These SoC processors are absolutely identical except for the radio control portion - in other words, the carrier difference.

While processor technology mega-obviously continues to evolve, let's recall a few simple things about the tech sector and our corner of it -

• The Snapdragon 8x50 was the first and therefore entry processor for the Android super-phone (a class above smartphone, thanks)
  • Google's announcement of Froyo being the last planned stop in infrastructure for Android and discontinuing the Nexus One are not coindental
  • Was the Nexus One _not_ created to prove to the market in general that Google _knew_ exactly what was required for a superphone hardware config to support Android? Did they not state that repeatedly?
  • Were other, potentially more powerful, processors available at the time the Snapdragon 8x50 was chosen for the Nexus One? (answer=definitely yes)
  • Is there not a history in the tech sector of an OS and it's apps stabililizing around a baseline level of performance despite rapid tech changes in various areas? (The Intel 386 command set and vast parts of the Windows API back in the day are but two examples - other examples _abound_ in both hardware and software.)

If I'm not mistaken, one can dig back through the fossil record and find that Google stated that Froyo would be the last overall update to the Android infrastructure and that Gingerbread would be the update on top of that to fulfill a richer user experience.

And while that's _possibly_ going to mean some great UI change, if that happens we're all going to have to see how the makers handle that in terms of their marketable differentiation via the UI.

You want my predictions (no is a good answer), here they are, and they're so lame that I should be paid for them:

• You'll replace your EVO because you're either bored with it or because some killer apps come along that swamp the Snapdragon 8x50 or the EVO in general and not because of Android supportability.
  • Diehards with that just-because attitude will find ways to stay giddy while keeping their EVO as up-to-Android-date as humanly possible, even breaking common sense in design, because the EVO has the boundary point in the form of the superphone processor and is like the Nexus One a touchstone in the market.
  • Many people may never see the pure Gingerbread, ever, unless rooted.

Cheers, thankAlot, carry on! ;)

Reactions: sagedil
Upvote 0
Joppie, I don't think you understand processors. The i5 has five cores runningat 3.2ghz, that is 15 times the power you had five years ago. When a dual core mobile CPU in widely available the game will change.

You're probably right. If its not a router or a switch, I don't pay much attention to it. I was just looking at the specs. But my point is that its 2010... where the hell is my single-chip Terahertz processor? Or my flying car for that matter!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones