1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How Fast and Secured is the Samsung Galaxy S10 2D Face Unlock?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Emmanuel Godwin, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Emmanuel Godwin

Mar 7, 2019
    Male
    Tech Blogger
    Lagos Nigeria
    Hello guys, so finally i made up my mind that i'd be getting the regular Samsung Galaxy S10 model probably when it starts shipping this march..

But before that, I want to know, since Samsung removed their Iris Scanner in favor of the in-display fingerprint reader, and included a regular 2D face unlock instead.

I want to know how fast and secured it really is.. And secondly, before raising the phone up to my face, do i need to press the power button to light up the screen, or once i just lift the phone up to my face while the screen is off, it just unlocks it and i'm the go..

So these are the things i really want to know about the Galaxy S10's face unlock. And lastly, I still want to know, when i raise the phone up to my face and it unlocks the screen, do i still need to swipe up on it like the iPhone X? because that shit sucks..

Thanks all.. your kind suggestions will be warmly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Unfortunately, it is not very secure. Even Samsung gives a warning before setting Face recognition. It also warns that changes in hairstyle, makeup etc. could throw off its accuracy.
    Fortunately, for me at least the fingerprint works so well that I'm not even using the "connected device smart lock" to unlock the phone. In case you do choose to use this, do the following.

Recognize at least two separate fingerprints using fingers that are naturally near the scanner when holding the phone in your hand and another when you reach out when the phone when on a stand or flat on the table. Works like a charm. Personally, I use the right hand thumb and the right hand first finger respectively.
    Incidentally, it works on the lock screen as well.

#2 Snakeyeskm, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  3. Emmanuel Godwin

Mar 7, 2019
    Male
    Tech Blogger
    Lagos Nigeria
    But i heard it works even when you're putting on glasses. and doesn't unlock the phone when you're not looking at it.. Is it true?

4. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Yes. I tried it with glasses on and off and it worked. It also does require you to look directly at the screen with your face generally in front of it.

5. Emmanuel Godwin

Mar 7, 2019
    Male
    Tech Blogger
    Lagos Nigeria
    Wow. I'm in love with it already.. can't wait seriously.