• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How good is Sugarsync?

falkner09

Oct 5, 2010
So, I'm notthat pleased with Dropbox. not only does it attempt to hide MY files with the recent downgrades, it still has no auto-sync to device feature. i.e., there's no ability to automatically download folders and contents, like the pc/mac version. you can only "favorite" specific files, and even then only that file will have updates downloaded automatically. you have to do this one by one for EVERY SINGLE FILE you want to "sync" and if the file's name changes, even a single character, the version on your device is deleted completely and you have to re-favorite it. on top of that, you can't even organize favorites, they're all just in one list. (if this were a good idea, we would never have invented folders to begin with)

so, does Sugarsync fix any of this with its mobile version? to recap, I'm wanting autosync (of everything, including files and folders) including the ability to auto upload by putting a files in the syncing folder with a file manager, and I want it in a folder that's not hidden, like dropbox is attempting now.

Sugarsync is good, way better than Dropbox in my opinion, not to mention more than 10x the potential capacity. Free Dropbox maxes out at 10GB. Free Sugarsync is supposed to max out at 105GB (I already have 27GB). Plus, Sugarsync allows you to sync ANY folder on your PC according to your wants. Using Dropbox for example to sync copies of your Skyrim saves, you still need to manually copy the save files into the Dropbox folder in your PC. If you are using Sugarsync, just set the specific folder you want to sync and sync it goes.

For the mobile phone, going into the app, you can view your synced folders in the icon representing your PC. If you set them to sync, they will sync to a folder of the same name under mnt>sd>mysugarsync. Putting any file there would automatically upload it to the servers, and your PC would download it as well if turned on. You can also set a specific folder in your phone to sync to sugarsync, and it will appear in your PC under My Documents>Magic Briefcase>Mobile Folders.

Upvote 0
Dropbox, or on your phone, Dropbox + DropSync, will do everything you described. True, Sugarsync gives more free space, but Dropbox has native Linux support which is priceless to me.

Dropbox is also technically and financially sound (they turned down a buyout bid from Apple to become what is now iCloud) with good customer service, all which is very important to me since we use Dropbox for business. I feel I can trust them with critical files and service.

Doesn't matter I guess if you just wanna place to stash some mp3's or something, but I use Dropbox for much more.

Upvote 0
Dropbox, or on your phone, Dropbox + DropSync, will do everything you described. True, Sugarsync gives more free space, but Dropbox has native Linux support which is priceless to me.

No, whatever combination of DropBox and DropBox apps cannot do everything I describle, unless you can tell me how to sync a specific folder in my PC, (say, user>mydocuments>ebooks) to my phone WITHOUT COPY-PASTING IT INTO THE DROPBOX FOLDER. Sugarsync doesn't care about such things. Dropbox kind of ruins my filing system. My only use for DropBox is to receive files from Dropbox users.

Sure for Linux users the decision is made, but for those who don't use Linux, Sugarsync is a more flexible choice.

Upvote 0
No, whatever combination of DropBox and DropBox apps cannot do everything I describle, unless you can tell me how to sync a specific folder in my PC, (say, user>mydocuments>ebooks) to my phone WITHOUT COPY-PASTING IT INTO THE DROPBOX FOLDER.
Well, as I've said about that before, I consider that to be an intelligent safety/security feature and I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm kinda amazed Sugarsync does - seems like very poor practice, especially on a Windoze machine.

Upvote 0
Well, as I've said about that before, I consider that to be an intelligent safety/security feature and I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm kinda amazed Sugarsync does - seems like very poor practice, especially on a Windoze machine.

Well I've been using Sugarsync for a little over a week now, LOVING it. it does everything Dropbox does, plus many more options. the fact that it can sync more than just the stuff in one folder I find great; you don't have to autosync separate folders from different locations, but if you want to, you can. in fact, the initial set up has only a few existing system folders set to automatically sync, and it asks you if you want to sync them before it uploads. all you do is uncheck the box and it won't sync them.

You can also manually select any other folder to autosync, so I actually set up a "Sugarsync" folder and put all the stuff that had been in my Dropbox folder in there. so basically, if you want Dropbox's system, you can make it Dropbox's system, and if you want more functions and compatibility with other programs, you can have it, and you start out with more free storage, and if you want to buy more, it's cheaper than buying from dropbox, and the mobile apps are MUCH better, with real background sync, real autosync. and if you don't want to use those to save battery or data, you can just choose not to enable them.

Upvote 0

Sugarsync also does dropbox style if that's your caveat. Instead of a Dropbox folder, you put it in the "Magic Briefcase" (weird name but hey). Don't set sync folders and Sugarsync will work EXACTLY like Dropbox. Or you can make a separate folder to treat it like your Dropbox folder. Sugarsync is kind of like Android, set it how you want it to work.

Besides, 10GB vs 105GB already makes a clear winner in my book. :)

EDIT: And Sugarsync works on WINE.

Upvote 0
what is syncing please?

If you install a 'cloud', like DropBox c.s., on more than one device – e.g. a PC, and a smartphone, or a tablet, laptop, notebook, or 'ultrabook' – the files that you stick in that 'cloud' on one device will be uploaded to the 'cloud' and available, identically, in that 'cloud' on those other devices.
If you change and resave that file in the 'cloud' on one of those devices, those changes will be reflected in that same file on the other devices. They are identical, 'synced'.

That is 'syncing' (synchronizing).

DropBox offers a 2,5GB 'cloud' free, for starters.
For starters SugarSync users get a 'cloud', free, with twice the capacity (5GB) DropBox offers.
For starters Minus.com users get a 'cloud', free, with four times the capacity (10GB) DropBox offers.

'Clouds' like DropBox, SugarSync, and Minus are FREE virtual USB sticks/pendrives that you can never lose, or forget, and that cannot be nicked. Real USB sticks/pendrives cost money!
'Clouds' like that can also be very convenient for sending very large files (that would never fit an email box; e.g. 200 photos of a holiday, or a wedding, or a video of the school play, etc. etc.) to others. Just upload the (zipped?) file(s) to your 'cloud', copy the public link, and send that to the other party. They can then download that/those very large file(s) at their convenience.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones