• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Google's Chromecast Lets Down iPhone Users (deprecated, obsolete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moderator note added September 9, 2013 - this is not a user review, this is a copy/paste of an article found here -

How Google's Chromecast Lets Down iPhone Users - ReadWrite

iphone-chromecast.JPG

I've had a Chromecastic week playing around with Google's $35 streaming device. Overall, I've come away with positive impressions. Then again, it's easy to be forgiving when a new gadget costs less than dinner at a middle-of-the-road restaurant.
But that forgiveness is key. I'm an iPhone user, and it has become increasingly apparent that Chromecast sometimes works rather fitfully with Apple gear. That's a tough pill to swallow given the attention Google lavished on the Chromecast's touted ability to work across Android and iDevices alike

Reactions: gtbarry
We have Google TV which is ten times more functional than Apple TV, which lacks safari and app store. Same price ($99) gives me a similar device with mirroring, but the added benefit of Google Play Store, the ability to install apps, games, and much more, without needing a tablet or smartphone to accomplish the same thing. Google TV also has one HDMI input as well allowing me to retain some of the features but give me my access to my TiVo behind all of that.

Upvote 0
Among other things, there was never much chance that Apple would help optimize the Chromecast experience on iOS. Certainly not in the service of its arch rival, and definitely not for features that compete with its own Apple TV and Airplay.

Certainly this is the issue. And guess who apple will blame.

But thank you for your detailed and thought-filled review!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones