1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How hard is it to make my own icons?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by windsorclarenc, Dec 28, 2011.

1. windsorclarenc

windsorclarenc Android Enthusiast

I've downloaded some cool ROMs and everything looks all neat and spiffy. But then I start putting stuff on my home screen that clashes with the ROM's theme. So, how hard would it be for me to make my own icons so that everything matches? I would like to make custom icons for apps I download from the market.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

well you can use Desktop VisualizeR. all you need to do is find images or create your own and then use desktop visualizer to make it so that it will launcher whatever app you want.

dustwun77 likes this.
  3. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

not hard to make the icons using gimp. however just make sure your colors compliment the ROM as to not create this clash

windsorclarenc, dustwun77 and ocnbrze like this.
  4. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert

Another option would be to do some reading and learn how to theme the apks that you download. There is alot of info out there and many people that are willing to answer questions to get you going. I would start here and here.

5. windsorclarenc

I think I'm going to have to get into theme-ing. I've already become a flashaholic, i might as well dive in and customize everything i possibly can. This isn't going to help my new addiction lol

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. Xtremedays

Once you find a rom that you want to theme, it will pretty much stop your rom flashing as you will be test flashing/pushing apks for your theme. At least in my case it was that way. Been on MikG for a few months now since that is the rom I theme.

windsorclarenc and Granite1 like this.
  7. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer

You hit the nail on the head Xtreme! This is probably the second reason My themeing has stopped. I'm always switching up roms, it's hard to keep starting over. :eek:

Also a big +1 on the two guides above, those are where I got my start.;)

I think making the .pngs and figuring out color schemes is the hardest part of themeing. Putting the images into a flashable update.zip isn't that bad, it's compiling all the edits and keeping everything straigt prior thats really difficule. At least for me it is...:p

8. Xtremedays

Biggest thing I can say beyond doing all the reading you can is get organized first. I got going in this and decided to get everything organized and spent almost 2 days moving stuff around and getting set up. Piece of cake now.

Granite1 likes this.
  9. windsorclarenc

Hmmm, I glanced over those guides and I'm starting to think this might be a bit over my head. Or at least too much work just to change how things look.

10. Xtremedays

There is alot to it depending on how much you want to get into it. If you just want to change ththe icons its not that involved. It you want to change app appearances then there is more to it. Let me know how far you want to get into it and i can give you some suggestions on what to get as far as programs to use for editing.

11. windsorclarenc

I think for starters I would just want to change my icons. I didn't know you could change how apps look and act.

12. Xtremedays

What rom are you looking to change icons on?

13. windsorclarenc

Cyanogenmod 7.1

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews