• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How has your experience been with the Asus Eee Pad Transformer series?

Would you buy an Asus Eee Pad Transformer tablet?

• Total voters

gctrade

Lurker
Aug 8, 2012
In another thread I started someone said:

Stay away from any asus product. I have a transformer prime and it sucks.

Wifi is god awful, terrible for browsing. If you are within 2 to 3 feet of your router maybe you'll be OK, but anything else, forget it.

Product crashes almost daily now. I've owned it or about 10 months. Audio is sub par, volume very low. Battery life acceptable. Display, good.

Asus also manufacture Google Nexus 7. Many early complaints about build quality and display quality on that one.

Over all, I will never buy another Asus product again and recommend others stay away as well.

Is the Asus brand really that bad? How has your experience been with the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime? :thinking:

I love my transformer prime. I have the keyboard dock and use it primarily for consumption purposes such as email, web browsing, and media.

I have seen some people absolutely lose their Sh!t over anger with the wifi issue. I myself have never had any issues with the wifi, though I can attest that the strength isn't what it may be with other wifi enabled products.

If you do get it, ensure you budget the money to get the keyboard dock.

Reactions: KENNECTED
Upvote 0
I've had my TP since April and my experience has been very good. I'm responding to this thread on mine. I do use Dolphin for my browser and Swype for keyboard entry. My Wi-Fi reception is excellent. I live in a house built in the 50s and my reception rarely gets below 1 bar even when I'm outside. My home is a concrete block-style house. I agree with others on this thread that it's worth the extra money to buy the docking keyboard. The additional battery power from the keyboard dock is worth the money. I'm glad I made the purchase. One final thing with my experience, I rooted my TP but have kept the stock install. I rooted primarily to use Titanium Backup. I also added Voodoo Rootkeeper.

Upvote 0
Using splashtop, I have completely ditched my laptop. Work over wifi all day,with very rare issues. I also highly recommend the keyboard dock. Enjoy watching my coworkers plugging in their laptops while my prime goes all day long.

This is the single greatest combo in android IMO. The keyboard dock makes the device almost a laptop replacement, and then you throw in that they give you splashtop for free, or if you want to upgrade to splashtop 2 for 10 dollars a year, it is a laptop replacement. I go days at a time without charging because the stock kernel gives it such amazing standby time with the duel batteries in the keyboard and the tab itself. I have a Nexus 7 as well and it serves a completely different purpose than the prime, but it's not nearly as versitile. Bottom line, Asus is the king of the android tablet game right now. So if you want an android tablet and not an iPad, get an Asus transformer tablet( either the 101, 300, 201, 700 in order of best specs low to high)

Upvote 0
I've had my prime since Mid May No problems, the wifi (locations) can be a little off, but nothing to major.

I use it for laying on the couch, tweeting while watching TV, watching movies/media on flights. I use it more for travel and entertainment.

I've had no issues and I'm even thinking of upgrading to the new prime when that comes out!

But I need to see how Jellybean works on my prime first.

Upvote 0
I moved to Android and the Asus TP in about March and it's the best move I ever made absolutely love the product I have the dock also. Wireless has been fine for me never had any issues it's maybe a little weaker than the iPad but always get logged on. The usability of it is fantastic and I have just done a week away in Greece with the TP only and there's no way I could have done that with an iPad I will see this year out with it and then maybe upgrade to the next ASUS product

Also can't wait for the Jelly Bean update ......

Upvote 0
My wife got me a Prime plus the dock back in May, and I've enjoyed it a great deal. Not quite a laptop replacement, but awfully close. I'd say a solid 90% of a laptop replacement... with at least 300% of the battery life.

The wifi isn't spectacular, but it's certainly acceptable. And while I've run into a few limitations (such as at one hotel, where I could hook up to the wifi but none of the browsers I had would authenticate to get out on the web) there haven't been any dealbreakers. I've been impressed with what it can do with games, and the screen plays movies beautifully.

I gather some people have had problems. But so far, it's been very nice. I'm really curious to see how it runs under Jellybean.

Upvote 0
I agree with most of the above. Wifi hasn't been much of an issue for me and the keyboard function is really awesome. I hardly ever undock the tablet from it. When you go back to your PC (or Mac) you will be frustrated when you try to reach up on the screen to scroll or make selections. That said, I have a lot of browser crashes, and they are frustrating. Also, you may find that you need to use a PC for some sites, especially secure ones. I just wish I hadn't paid as much for the Prime as the cost of an iPad.

Upvote 0
Having had our Prime since early December, I'll say I'm still amazed at the speed and usability of this tablet. Adding the dock in March only made it better. Here's my list of good and bad.

GOOD:
Wifi: Never had an issue with wifi. Getting better up and down speeds than my rooted Evo 4G. Tethering to our phones makes this an awesome experience even while driving down the road.
GPS: Although some made a huge deal of this in the early days, I never saw the need to use this device as a GPS navigational device. Updates have improved the GPS as well and you add the GPS dock and its even better.
Speed: Highly impressed with gaming, browsing.... you name it, I've played it and I haven't seen any sort of slow down at all.
Battery: Pretty good battery life by itself but then add the dock, I can go 3-4 days without charging. This is with wifi on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Not one complaint about the battery life.
Usability: Having transferred 7gb of video from my video camera in less than 12 minutes, I'm happy to be able to watch any video I've recorded. It's nice to be able to use this tablet in various ways and it still makes life a little easier.

BAD:
Dock to tablet hinge: Getting loose but still usable

Overall:
Highly recommend:D

Upvote 0
my feelings are well known, but I'm not "blowing out the wrong end." Those that have described the tf 201as beta are, IMHO, correct. And, in relation to all the positive comments, I can only wonder who the posters are and/or what their usability environment is like. Have they, for example, worked with their tfp on the road? In a hotel or restaurant?

There are certainly good points to the tfp. But it is vastly inferior to state-of-the-art competitive products when it comes to wifi. This includes phones, laptops, and other tablets I have used. Not all, but most. I find tablets in general to be slower on wifi speeds. But, what is the point of any mobile device if wifi speeds and connectivity are not competitive to other devices?

Im hoping sammy or moto are building the definitive Android tablet as we speak. It's time for Android to get a competitive as-flawless-as-possible 10.1" tablet into the market.

Upvote 0
my feelings are well known, but I'm not "blowing out the wrong end." Those that have described the tf 201as beta are, IMHO, correct. And, in relation to all the positive comments, I can only wonder who the posters are and/or what their usability environment is like. Have they, for example, worked with their tfp on the road? In a hotel or restaurant?

There are certainly good points to the tfp. But it is vastly inferior to state-of-the-art competitive products when it comes to wifi. This includes phones, laptops, and other tablets I have used. Not all, but most. I find tablets in general to be slower on wifi speeds. But, what is the point of any mobile device if wifi speeds and connectivity are not competitive to other devices?

Im hoping sammy or moto are building the definitive Android tablet as we speak. It's time for Android to get a competitive as-flawless-as-possible 10.1" tablet into the market.

I bought it for the purpose of using it while traveling. My wifi isn't perfect, but I haven't had any of the major issues with it that others report.

Upvote 0
I really enjoy my TFP. I've had it since December 2011 and it's been everything I wanted and I don't even have the dock yet. I use it at work also. It's easier to carry around and Splashtop to my laptop. I've even played a little Diablo III on it (Spashtop) but it's hard without a mouse. I can't wait to get the dock and see how that works with a mouse and keyboard. It hasn't replaced my laptop.............YET.

Upvote 0
Figured I'd add my opinion. I unlocked & rooted my prime the day I got it and have been very satisfied with it. I installed AndroWook Prime as my ROM shortly after unlocking, and never looked back. I primarily use it in my home for Web browsing with Dolphin, a few Hexage games, and social media. Wifi is dependable and the speaker is pretty good. Yeh, so I really like mine :thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones