1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How have you adjusted to touchscreen keyboard?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ^McCool, Sep 13, 2010.

1. BoulderAndroidFan

BoulderAndroidFan Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Multimedia
    West
    I'm the same. I use portrait and just one finger, never both. Trying to use thumbs on a virtual keyboard never worked for and I even have small fingers. I liked Swype a lot but then tried SwiftKey after reading about it on another forum. I think it's more accurate and faster than other keyboards I've tried.

Advertisement

2. Ecks

Ecks Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    I really enjoyed using Swype -- very fast way to text. However I stopped using it because...
    A) sometimes words you accidentally added to the dictionary were difficult to delete using the Swype key (as in, sometimes it wouldn't do anything other than bring up the tutorial window).
    B) I got tired of being very precise about typing words like 'out' and 'our', or 'put' and 'out', etc.
    C) If swype guessed a wrong word or something, it took longer to correct than using the standard input.
    D) Swype forces non-dictionary words to be added to the dictionary. If I wanted to type a date/time, or a street address or something, it would bring up every entry I ever added to the dictionary. For instance, if at one point I added the word 3rd to the dictionary, but later on I wanted to send a text with just the number '3', the default 'on-top' word when typing 3 would be '3rd'. This just became way too annoying to deal with. I mentioned the 49ers in a post once and any time I wanted to type a 4 in a msg, the first entry to pop up was 49ers. With the Droid 2 keyboard, I can type non-words without having to add them to the dictionary.

I'm really happy with the Droid 2 input though. Again, I came from the LG Dare, so I've been typing on-screen for a long time.

3. AJ McKay

AJ McKay Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    I came from the LG Versa so using an on-screen keyboard wasn't a shock. The difference between resistive and capacitive, however, was.

4. REYES

REYES Member
    None

Aug 24, 2010
    I came from the enV Touch and have used a variety of other vQWERTY's, this one is the best one I have ever used, hands down. I would not worry about it. I was in your boat prior to my urchase but after all is set and done, the perks outweigh the keyboard AND you get used to it pretty quick. What helped me get used to it was the game "myTextspeed" from the market. Hehe, I specifically got it so it would help me adjust to the new typing layout. Android keyboard or Touch input keyboard, both work really well. Although, now that I am rooted, I just use swype most of the time.

You are making a good phone choice, don't think otherwise!

5. 1967ls2

1967ls2 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    People still use physical keyboards?

6. Riot88

Riot88 Newbie
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    It took me a couple weeks to get used to. I used to try to type every word correctly, but am used to auto correct on it. I still think I text faster on a physical keyboard tho

7. secretLOVER

secretLOVER Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 25, 2010
    Male
    San Diego, CA
    Sgyhfki xhtkou ghbsdffy. Jgdyooibbh jj id vjhdvhj koooggf che! """!!

tdub88 likes this.
  8. Josh_Dude83

Josh_Dude83 Newbie
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    i have to say that moving from a qwerty to a touch was a bit to get used to, but in a day or 2 you can get used to the touch...after a few more days fall in love. After downloading swype...fall in love again!

9. AJ McKay

AJ McKay Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 18, 2010

People still act elitist when they see that someone uses what they perceive to be inferior technology?

Aesthetically likes this.
  10. Musky

Musky Android Expert
    None

Mar 13, 2010
    Male
    Computer Tech
    San Diego
    My point exactly! :D

11. 1967ls2

1967ls2 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    I was making a joke. Why is everyone so uptight here...

secretLOVER likes this.
  12. wrestlingnrj

wrestlingnrj Newbie
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Computer Repair Tech
    SoCal
    I've had my Droid for a couple months now and while I can type a bit faster with the on screen keyboard, I am no where near as accurate as with the physical keyboard I have on my Blackberry Bold (work phone). I'm constantly missing the space bar on the Incredible, so I have words smashed together, or ones that make no sense at all since auto correct couldn't figure it out.

13. bassdelux15

bassdelux15 Member
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    Male
    College Student
    Philadelphia, PA
    I originally had a Samsung Gravity 2 (DON"T JUDGE ME!) before my Incredible, so i was pretty used to having a physical keyboard. But after a day of constant texting, i got really used to the touch screen qwerty

14. craighwk

craighwk Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    IT Manager
    Denver, CO
    All my phones were T9 until I got an iPhone and I rather loved the "upgrade". I went to a Droid (original) and ended up never using the physical keyboard. Now that I have my Incredible, I love only having an onscreen keyboard again, and with the new "SwiftKey" keyboard, life couldn't be better!

15. ezydroid

ezydroid Newbie
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    NYC
    X2, I had a dare also. :D

16. mtollin

mtollin Member
    None

May 4, 2010
    Smart Keyboard Pro. I use to love the Motorola Q9 keyboard, hated TP2, and if not for this program would have hated virtual keyboards. Tried Swype, but I found if your not a typist and know where are the keyboard letters are, you spend more time looking for the right keys, which makes Swype useless.

What's my favorite layout on it? Apple of course! Great app, learns, customizable, you can swype across it to change keyboards, and you don't loose the microphone button.

After install I do recommend you do the calibration so it learns where your big fingers accidently do mean to go.

17. Computerguru01

None

Apr 10, 2010
    I cant wait for blindtype, it will blow all the other keyboards out of the water!!!!

18. rileyra

rileyra Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    i picked mine up, started typing, if i screwed up a word then the predictive most likely gave me the word i wanted in a list... took no time to adjust really...its better than typing on a droid keyboard thats for sure. and i actually prefer it to my old enV

19. answerman

answerman Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Appleton, WI
    To the OP: my opinion is probably the one you're looking for. I came from a long line of physical keyboard devices (Handspring Treo 90, Palm Tungsten C, HTC PPC-6700, HTC PPC-6800, HTC Touch Pro) so I had about 8 years of "unlearning" to do.

Took me about 2 hours to wonder why I always thought I needed a physical keyboard. I won't ever go back.

20. gatersaw

gatersaw Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2010
    New owner of Samsung Epic 4G here. The physical keyboard is awkward; buttons are mushy and wide-spaced. Landscape software keyboard for the win.

The phone itself is excellent. I'm very happy to be tied to a 2 year agreement on this phone. With RadioShack service plan ($100) I can get anything replaced or a new phone for $50.

21. Blacklight82

Blacklight82 Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2010
    I actually type faster with the Incredible's keyboard than the physical keyboards I've tried before. The auto-correct is really good so I don't have many mistakes. It'll take a short while to get use to it but you'll like it a lot.
    Swype is great but I always find myself going back to the stock keyboard.

22. lightscomeon

lightscomeon Newbie
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    Florida
    Punctuation is my only real problem with the stock keyboard. I take pride in my texts being grammatically accurate and when punctuating a sentence or word requires a long press I get irritable. My boyfriend is getting his incredible Tuesday (because I'm the best girlfriend ever) and he's worried about making the switch. We are both reformed blackberry users.

23. AeolianReflex

AeolianReflex Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Southern California
    Great choice of words.....

24. AeolianReflex

AeolianReflex Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Southern California
    I love the touch keyboard. I use the phone keyboard for almost everything and find the I can type just as fast as I could on a physical keyoard without dealing with sticking keys and sluggish response. I will say that do find using the landscape qwerty much easier for entering passwords and such

25. dspcap

dspcap Well-Known Member
    None

May 16, 2010
    The only thing I miss about my blackberry Tour is the keyboard. I am currently using swype, but getting tired of trying to make one word, but another coming up. It's a cool concept, but for me, it's not the best. After reading all this, I think I'll try the Droid 2 keyboard for a few weeks.