1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ch229151, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ch229151

ch229151 Member
    None

Nov 11, 2011
    Using my gps yesterday I noticed my S2 running at 106 degrees. It was definitely warm to the touch, even through my otterbox. I shut down the GPS just to play it safe. For future reference, how hot is too hot? Playing modern warfare 3 brought her up to 110.

Advertisement

2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    Some applications like GPS and certain games when using... could get the device too hot to touch. However, if its getting hot when using other applications as well - then you should get the device checked out. It might be defective. Too hot is when you start noticing how hot the device feels.

ch229151 likes this.
  3. ch229151

ch229151 Member
    None

Nov 11, 2011
    Its mostly only hot when Im using processor intensive apps like the navi or really intense games like MC3. Just curious to know what is a safe temperature range, and when I should through the device in the freezer Haha

4. jdCaptivate

jdCaptivate Android Enthusiast
    None

You're not going to get it hot enough to do any damage. While I don't know (remember) average heat, electronics will start to fail at... typically, is the design and function of what it is, that will determine safe operating temperatures.

Cell phones, by nature run hot. Those batteries, get hot. The CPU/GPU run hot. The phone is designed for heat, far in excess of 105-106. Well, beyond the point of you being able to hold onto it any more.

The Captivate is notorious for running hot. Man, you talk on the phone for 15 minutes and that ****** felt like a hot potato. There were times, that I had to end phone calls, because it was uncomfortable holding it. My wife inherited it after I upgraded. Still runs like a champ (besides some Serendipity bugs), looks like one and my wife loves it.

Sorry, for no concrete answer, but honestly... the phone would probably start to melt in your hand (plastic would turn soft and pliable), your screen would also start to react, with distorted images/colors.

ch229151 likes this.
  5. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2011
    Owner
    Jacksonville, FL
    I would think if all is working the way it should, the phone would shut down the CPU or throttle it back when the temps exceeded what Samsung thought to be safe.