1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How I damaged/corrupted my SD card: a warning to Evo users (CM7 users)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by corybantic, Jun 2, 2011.

1. corybantic

corybantic Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    I recently had to reformat my SD card because it became corrupt (see my previous post). After losing ALL my nandroids :(, I decided the issue could have been due to me converting .wmv music files to .mp3's. I know it's lengthy but, please read. It might save you a lot of time and trouble. Thanks!

I was on CM7 and, apparently, .wmv files aren't supported - I tried 2 other AOSP roms (Destoyer & MIUI) and sure enough I still couldn't play any .wmv music files. This struck me as odd since all of my Sense-based roms always played these files, I headed over to the forums and the concensus was that I would have to convert the files.

I dl'ed a free converter, and a couple of hours later, I had all my music as .mp3's and they all worked on CM7. The following Saturday night, I went to a friends house and we plugged in my phone, via the headjack, to his surround sound system. It was already late and eventually my phone died.

The next morning I plugged my phone, for it to charge up, and about 2 hours later had to leave to run some errands; I didn't notice it at first but the SD card icon had come on in the upper lefthand corner. Once I realized it was there, I pulled down the notifications and it basically said that I would have to reformat the SD card. Trying not to freak out, I rebooted into recovery to restore a backup, the only problem was that I didn't have any nandroid backups! I went into Astro file manager and it wouldn't read my SD card and, since the backups were on the card and my card was now "corrupt," it wasn't reading anything on it.:eek:

Trying to stay cool, later on I decided to pull the SD card, nothing. I then decided to connect my phone via USB, nothing. I then inserted the card into my PC, nothing. And, just to make sure, I inserted the card into my laptop, nothing. It was now obvious that I had to reformat.

Eventually I did and, thank God, I'm now back up and running like normal. :D. So I decided yesterday to run an experiment. I have an extra 2 gb SD card and I packed it with converted .wmv files and placed it in my phone. I played every single file and eventually let the battery run out.

And guess what? THE SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED! When I recharged the battery - for about 45 minutes - I got the same message and the same SD icon as I had gotten before, BTW, I was still on CM7. I reformatted the card, flashed Myn's Warm 2.2 charged the battery to 100%, and proceeded to play the exact .mp3's as before.

This morning I woke up and sure enough my phone died - I placed the volume on it's lowest settings and with headphones on while I slept - I charged the phone while I went to the gym (about an hour) and, when I came back, I checked to see if I had the same SD corrupt notification.

I had nothing! The phone was okay. No notification, no icon and all of the music worked fine, I was even able to go into Astro and see my SD card contents. My conclusion: the free converter software must be corrupting my data with CM7 and, perhaps, other AOSP-based roms. I'm almost certain of that. I won't mention which converter software I used but let's just say it was one of the top hits when I searched on Google.

As of this post, I am now attempting to replicate the same results using Destroyer and using the same exact converted music files as before. I will update you guys by later on. Thanks for reading and I hope this was somewhat useful.

Advertisement

2. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Keep us updated, nice info:D

3. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    For sure. Android Forums has been a God-sent to me and, if I can give a little bit back, then I'm compelled to do so.

4. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Absolutely, the people in these forums are great:)

5. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    This is the oddest thing I've ever read in here lol. You convert a WAV to an MP3 in your comp then place it on your sd card and somehow this corrupts the way aosp roms read your sd card. Though this all works fine on sense...

Does that sum it up? Is killing the battery a necessary part of the equation?

6. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    I don't know if killing the battery is necessary but, since this was what happened the first time, I thought that I should replicate it as it happened. I'm thinking that it had to have been the free converter software I downloaded. I know it's kind of weird and I also know that the Evo can act differently depending on what you put on it but, I just thought that if it can happen to me, it might happen to someone else in forumsland.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the CM7 that I flashed (with the latest gapps) did not have any nightlies added to it; it was barebones CM7.

7. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC

You mean the software you downloaded to your computer?

I'm sorry but I'm having trouble finding the connection, not saying you are wrong friend just digging

8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Take note...if you are not copying the contents of your sd card over to a computer regularly as a back up..start now...

you just never know

ardchoille and corybantic like this.
  9. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

Thanks for the heads up. I'm new to this rooting thing and about to try some ASOP ROMs and use .wavs so this is very educational. Keep us updated and good idea with the spare SD card.

10. corybantic

None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    @evomattnc: yes, I was refering to the software I downloaded to convert my files. Somehow someway I think it messed up my files.

As of this morning, I attempted to reproduce the same results using 2 other AOSP Roms - Destroyer & MIUI - and have not been able to do so. I theorized that AOSP was the culprit, but it isn't. I thought by using Destroyer (a CM-esque rom) it would yield the same results, alas it hasn't. At this point I don't know why I was forced to reformat while using the converted files on CM7. I'm just hypothesizing here but what ever the free converter did to the .wmv files must've not jived with some component of CM7. I don't know if I can mention the name of the free converter here so if you guys want to know what it is, message me. Thanks for all the feedback.

11. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Making this a sticky for now.

WARNING: Make sure to back up your SD Card to your computer on a regular basis!!!! You do NOT want to lose your NANDROIDS or the Wimax back ups!!!

12. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    I'm sorry but this thread has results that could not be repeated, therefore not proven. I vote not to sticky friend. doesn't seem like info a large majority will need seeing as it didn't happen on anything but cm7.

Maybe move to cm7 thread...? Jmo

twospirits, frenchy714 and novox77 like this.
  13. AndroidSPCS

None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I have not experienced it myself, but let's leave it for a week or two and see if we get any more reports. If we do not, then we can unsticky it.

I think it's better to be safe than sorry at this time. :)

PS - I'll edit the title to better reflect that it's a CM7 possible issue to make it more clear.

14. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC

that should help, thanks bud

15. Drew5150

Drew5150 Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    SF
    I actually agree with evomattnc,

to be honest it sounds like the the sd card is getting corrupt when the phone dies while the sd card is being read. or at least that's what it sounds like what is happening.

I mean if the conversion was doing the corruption, how are these songs being played for hours before the sd card dies?

I have seen similar to this using a sense rom, when I have incorrectly ejected my phone from my computer due to impatience. after a few tries, sometimes the next day, my pc eventually finds the card and says there are errors then scans and fixes the card.

I think there were instructions somewhere, maybe xda, on how to get out of this situation.. not sure tho.

what exactly does the notification say about the error with your sd card?

one would assume that having your phone die while the sd card is being read is not a good idea.. lol

and yes sd card back ups should be done ;)

16. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    I tend to agree we have a "correlation does not imply causation" issue here. More tests need to be conducted to see what is actually causing the corruption. I really don't think it's the conversion process. And until we can prove the cause (not the correlation), I don't think this should be stickied, since it could potentially be spreading unjustified FUD.

twospirits likes this.
  17. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC

Agreed except i dunno what fud is lol

18. AndroidSPCS

None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    FUD is Fear, Uncertainty & Doubt. :)

I'd be interested to see if anyone else experiences any issues. If not then this is a one off case that hopefully won't recur again.

evomattnc likes this.
  19. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Tech support rep for Knology
    so dak
    A: what software did you use to convert the audio? B: was it on your computer or evo? Matt asked you directly if it was software you dl'ed to your computer and you replied with yes the software I used. On what? Sounds like you got a crap converter. I have wavs mp3s oggs but no wmas as I find that format to be problematic period. Most stuff relegated to windows products have issues as do mac specific stuff. Lets get some more info...

20. PincheSquidly

PincheSquidly Lurker
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    FWIW I use Goldwave to convert files. You can download the trial free then just find license keys online. Open your .wma or what have you, then file save as.. :D

Tags: