• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How I got a sweet deal from Worst(Best?) Buy

Not a huge fan of Best Buy, their prices aren't the best.

Anyway, so I was shopping for a DInc a few weeks ago, and saw Verizon had a BOGO deal for $150. So two DIncs for $150... sweet. Then I saw that Best Buy had a deal for free.99. Even better.

My primary line was just fine to upgrade as I'd been out of contract for over a year. My secondary line gave me the trouble, even though it was just two weeks (14 days exactly) before my 20 month date. The "wireless supervisor" at my local BB had the guy who was helping me call "the national service center" and see if they could do anything, they reported back they could only do up to 7 days away from the 20 month.

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get the second phone for free if they changed their deal. So I went to a Verizon retail store, they wouldn't help... I didn't mention anything about Best Buy, I just said "Will you move my upgrade date up 14 days." The answer was no. Even though I've been a VZW customer for 8 or 9 years, and this is the first time I've ever asked... no love for a player.

I called, the answer was no.

I emailed, the answer was no by two different reps. One stated they'd been doing it too much maybe and they've been locked out of it.

So I went to another best buy local to me (there's tons of these stores around here for some reason). And they were even less help, even though the girl did ask me a lot of personal questions and bumped into me on "accident"... and even asking her supervisor about calling the "national center". Her supervisor said he'd never heard of anyone approving an early upgrade.

I figured all hope was lost of getting a free one as the supervisor said they change their ads every Sunday. I saw the mobile catalog for Best Buy they had the Dinc on sale at $99 all month, so at the very least... I'd get it for $99. Amazon had it for $.01, but like the free deal... for how long.

So, 7 days later... the phone was still free.99. I went back to the first BB as soon as the store opened, just after 8am. A different person was there, I told her what the other guy said... she seemed real skeptical. Eventually she texted her supervisor, who wasn't at the store, and he told her the number to call. I guess it was Verizon, because she said they're the only ones who can do it. She called, and without a fuss they did it.

Two HTC Incredibles: $0.00
"Early" upgrade fee: $0.00
Activation fees: $0.00
No more WinMo: Priceless

I am free from the oppression of WinMo(5 years of anguish) now, although I do miss my battery life of my Samsung i760 (3 to 4 days on a single charge!!). I considered the iPhone for a bit, but I really dislike Apple... so I'm glad I found Android. They were rooted as soon as I got them home... haha.

-Robert

haha, great then.
smile.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones