1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How I solved the things I didn't like about the GS2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by robabobbob, Sep 27, 2011.

1. robabobbob

robabobbob Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    I just wanted to write a quick post to gush about my GS2 in case anyone had similar concerns about the Phone.

My concerns in short: Build Quality, TouchWiz & Battery Life.

My concerns in a long rambling fashon: Having come from an HTC Desire (initially running Sense and later running MIUI) I wasn't sure I could get used to the Touch Wiz interface and I was worried about not so much the build quality but the lack of quality feel of the chassis this coupled with the battery life with such a large screen (.3" too big if you ask me). I had tried a friends Galaxy S 1 when it was first launched and it felt cheap in the hand, it was light which should be a positive but it was so plasticy it just felt nasty (IMHO). This coupled with the obtrusive touchwiz interface and launching with Android 2.1 which was already out of date (Grr Samsung).

My concerns alleviated: Well firstly the build quality; while it is light and kind of plasticly it feels much more solid than its predecessor and overall I think it's a nice design if a little plain with a screen that is .3" too big (but oh what a glorious screen it is!!). As far as touchwiz goes this iteration is far less obtrusive and only has two things I don't like, the first is the weird lock screen which is has no slider or widget to move you simply slide the whole display to the side. Everyone that has looked at my phone was confused by this. This was easily solved by installing Widget Locker, this is a fantastic lockscreen replacement which is very customizable! A fantastic download! The second thing about touchwiz that I coudn't get used to was the home screen arrangement; there are 7 screens and the home screen is on the left. This means lots of wasting time scrolling through 6 screens if the app you want to launch is all the way on the right. Well android market to the rescue again in the form of Launcher Pro. This allowed me to choose how many home screens I wanted, which one was default and so much more!!

I hope this proves useful to anyone who is undecided about opting for the Samsung Galaxy S2 for similar reasons. Praise Android for it's infinite customizability! :D

UPDATE: Oops, I did indeed forget to mention the battery life. Simply put, the battery life is like all smart phones not great however it is a vast improvement when compared to my HTC Desire. I charge my phone each night and on a typical day my desire would be down to 20% by late evening, the GS2 in contrast trends to sit at around 40% by the same point. Heavy users may still not be happy but for the average user I think it's acceptable.

Advertisement

JelenaS, dayloon and Giscard like this.
  2. d8beat

d8beat Newbie
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    lol, u missed out on how you fix your battery life

JelenaS and robabobbob like this.
  3. Gearu

Gearu Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2011