1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How important are latest updates?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by 1xsculler, Jan 12, 2018.

1. 1xsculler

1xsculler Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Pixel seems to be the only phone to get timely security patch and operating system updates.

Advertisement

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Depends upon what you call important. But with all of the hubbub going around about the Spectre and Meltdown flaws, you can bet that the updates right bout now are pretty important.

Of course, Pixels (usually) get the updates the fastest - they run stock Android, which Google patches and releases very early every month. Almost every other manufacturer takes those updates supplied by Google and adds in their own stuff - overlays, assistants, device specific apps, etc. - so you have to wait longer for them.

The only exceptions AFAIK are devices that also run stock Android (which, I think are Android One and a few others and that's it).

Jfalls63 likes this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Essential have been very fast with security updates so far - matching Google in fact. As I recall Nokia are quite quick. Both make minimal changes to Android.

As for how important, I'm running a Pixel now, but also using a tablet that hasn't had an update for 2 years, so I certainly don't regard them as essential.