• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How important is a removable battery to you?

Does your next phone need to have a removable battery?

• Yes

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Would like one, but I'll consider it when it's time to buy

Votes: 20 33.9%

• Total voters

Rush

{<>}~{<>}
Jan 31, 2011
Loganville, GA
Hey, folks... Just as the topic stated. Until recent devices like the Motorola Droid RAZR and the upcoming HTC One series, we've had the luxury to carry a spare battery along if we think we'll need it. As we squeeze more into our phones, we may see a removable battery as the exception and not the rule. We'll have to adapt as best we can, and of course batteries will be bigger and slightly more efficient. But just how important is having a removable battery to you?

Let us know in the poll :)

battery_life.jpg

I was just getting used to the idea until I rooted my Nexus. For whatever reason, myself and a few others have run into a situation where the phone became unresponsive. All combinations of externel button presses weren't working so bootloader/recovery were not an option. A simple battery pull took care of it however. For that reason, I like having that ace in the hole just in case.

Upvote 0
i voted yes. i think it is important, especially as a power user. i would rather carry a fully charged battery in my pocket then to carry a cable. also that was the one thing i wish the iphone was capable of when i had it a while back.
I use to say the same thing, but now I've realized that was back then. I'm sure we won't have to worry about these new devices coming out. These new type of batteries are more efficient and were made to last longer than the removable ones. Keep in mind that just like any other battery - after a few charge cycles before you'll 'actually' get the battery full potential.

If you should get one, you'll definitely see the difference between iOS and an Android non-removable battery. ;)

Upvote 0
Hey, folks... Just as the topic stated. Until recent devices like the Motorola Droid RAZR and the upcoming HTC One series, we've had the luxury to carry a spare battery along if we think we'll need it. As we squeeze more into our phones, we may see a removable battery as the exception and not the rule. We'll have to adapt as best we can, and of course batteries will be bigger and slightly more efficient. But just how important is having a removable battery to you?

Let us know in the poll :)

battery_life.jpg

I voted in this poll where it originally appeared on another site, as indicated in the link for the image in the OP.

Upvote 0
I'm on the fence on this topic. The idea of a non-removable battery interests me. However, as iowabowtech stated, after rooting and trying a new ROM or an update to a ROM the phone locked up hard. A battery pull was my only option.

What I think would be nice is if the manufacturers could install a recessed button that would mimic a battery pull. Some type of small hold you would need to use a paper clip to press a reset button to mimic a battery pull.

Upvote 0
That's good to know.. so did you cast your vote here? That's what this thread is about. If you also have a comment you can add, that would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

No. I did not vote in this poll. For me, a fixed battery presents two problems - the phone is not (as easily) portable while being charged, and batteries have a limited lifespan. I'm not willing to be tethered to an AC outlet simply because my battery is low, and I'm not willing to ship my phone off to a manufacturer for a week or more when the battery no longer holds a decent charge.

The point of my previous post was to (in a roundabout way) give credit to that other site for the graphics and verbiage of the poll.

Upvote 0
Removable batteries are a deal breaker for me for a few reasons. Even a with a massive battery like the MAXX's battery, I'd still want at least two. Sometimes, I may be out in the middle of nowhere for quite awhile and nothing to plug it into. I'd rather carry an extra battery or two with me than a charger. Just as importantly, and have others pointed out, it isn't uncommon for me to have to do a battery-pull after flashing a ROM or kernel that doesn't play well with my device. I am constantly tinkering with my devices, and as anyone who roots and flashes alternate ROMs and kernels know, sometimes you have to do a battery-pull.

Upvote 0
Personally, all the devices that i ever had I was able to remove the battery; however..if the One X (seems likely to be coming to Sprint) doesn't have a removable battery - that won't be a huge deal breaker for me.

Right now.. I go a day with a full charge on my trusty EVO 3D. And the One X that is 'supposedly' coming to Sprint in June, is said to be powered by a 2650mah battery - which is more than enough to last me through the day browsing throughout AF and AC. :)

Upvote 0
I refuse to buy a phone with a non removable battery, because it is basically forced obsolescence of the phone when the battery wears out. I want it to be my choice when I retire my phone, not the manufacturers. Plus a lot of people like to hand their phone down to family members or whatever when they are done with it. I wish people would stand up to this instead of letting the phone manufacturers make the phones even more disposable than they are now. I won't go along with this even if I have to leave Android.

Upvote 0
I refuse to buy a phone with a non removable battery, because it is basically forced obsolescence of the phone when the battery wears out. I want it to be my choice when I retire my phone, not the manufacturers. Plus a lot of people like to hand their phone down to family members or whatever when they are done with it. I wish people would stand up to this instead of letting the phone manufacturers make the phones even more disposable than they are now. I won't go along with this even if I have to leave Android.
Before we forget... These phones will still be covered by insurance - so, you'll always have the option of getting a different one. Possible brand new.

We can say we don't want it now, but after having one (of those bad boys) in your hands... and see how awesome this device is, will no doubt change a lot of people decisions.

Not having a removable battery, really! Is it that big of a deal to 'deter' you away from what we may see as one of the best, incredible, mind-blowing device for 2012 - 2014. :)

Upvote 0
It's absolutely critical in my own opinion to have a removable battery! lol Every smartphone I have owned and do own has two batteries with a stand alone desktop charger.

Right now I have the HTC Rezound with two extended batteries and a desktop charger and the Motorola Droid Bionic with two standard batteries and a desktop charger.

I use these devices far to much to even fathom the idea of buying a smartphone without a removable battery regardless of it's features or how nice it was/is. :)

Upvote 0
Before we forget... These phones will still be covered by insurance - so, you'll always have the option of getting a different one. Possible brand new.

We can say we don't want it now, but after having one (of those bad boys) in your hands... and see how awesome this device is, will no doubt change a lot of people decisions.

Not having a removable battery, really! Is it that big of a deal to 'deter' you away from what we may see as one of the best, incredible, mind-blowing device for 2012 - 2014. :)
It is a big deal to me, for two reasons. 1. I just don't like the idea of the manufacturers basically building in an "expiration date" on such an expensive piece of equipment. I've said this before, but we all see the people on here still happily using their OG Droids. Without replaceable batteries, those are all in the landfill right now. Its the principal of it. Besides, phones are like cars, there's always another, better one right around the corner. One particular model of phone isn't a big deal. 2. My batteries usually start not holding a charge as long around the one year mark and gradually get worse until the battery life is terrible. Much easier to get a new battery than a new phone. Not everybody gets insurance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones