• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How is 16GB storage allocated

Loving my new HTC One S, however I'm a bit confused as to the true availability of the supposed 16GB storage.

See the attached screenshot, however my phone shows the following:
Internal Storage:
Total space: 2.21GB

Phone Storage:
Total space: 9.93GB

to me that adds up to only just over 12GB. Where has the rest gone? I understood that the 16GB was on top of the operating system.

Regardless of the answer to the above, i'm also concerned about what seems the partitioning of the space between "internal storage" available for the install of apps, and "phone storage" which I presume is for media (photos, music etc.)

Grateful for any clarity/comments...

Attachments

• 2012-04-10_11-56-43.jpg
    2012-04-10_11-56-43.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 91
Are you afraid that 2.11GB aren't enough for all apps on the phone?
2GB should be plenty for apps considering you really only need apps that can't be moved to the SD card (system apps, apps where you have a widget, no app2sd support, etc.) put on that internal memory partition.

Since it's all one memory chip, access time shouldn't be slower like it might be with an external SD card.

That all make sense?

Reactions: Harry2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones