1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How is AT&T going to track the webtop application?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by watsyurface, Feb 5, 2011.

1. watsyurface

watsyurface Newbie

Everyone is saying that if you use the Atrix 4G in webtop mobe, att will be able to track it because youll be downloading full websites. However, if youre like me, youre using the Dolphin browser for your Android Phone. Dolphin has an add on that will let you convert the webpage you are on and convert it to the desktop version. What im saying is, if theres apps that let you download the FULL page, how will att tell youre using webtop?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast

AT&T will probably get a ping as soon as you open up webtop on 4g.

now im guessing if you use wifi there will be no tethering required

3. capitanbuzo

capitanbuzo Well-Known Member

As I do not have a fully functional Android phone yet, can AT&T fins out you are tethering with a sideloaded app if you keep your data usage normal? Maybe like staying at around 5GB a month since I am on unlimited. Does anyone ace experience with this?

4. MrMerkel

MrMerkel Lurker

i guess all carriers only look at the top bandwith-users, because its too much work to look at all.

ans, as Marc says, the Webtop is sending a ping to AT&T... it is not much work to make an own webtop-app for the atrix yourself...

5. AvengerBB

AvengerBB Member

The new ROMs leaked from Samsung for the Galaxy S do a check-in with the carrier before you turn on tethering. The same thing is done with the new iOS on the iPhone. I'm assuming the same thing will be done on all new phones. In other words, when launch the firefox browser it will do the check-in and tell you to get a tethering plan if you don't already.

6. scrounger

scrounger Newbie

I would guess it is probably the same way AT&T could tell if you are using a smartphone and would add a data plan to your service.

7. binaryhellstorm

binaryhellstorm Well-Known Member

The only way that AT&T knows you have a smartphone is based on the IMEI number. Since the dock doesn't have it's own cellular connection it doesn't have an unique IMEI.

8. DukeL

DukeL Well-Known Member

Theres probably a good chance that we can get away w/o paying the tethering fee. Just like how I get away w/o paying the tether fee when i use wifi tether on android and ios haha!

9. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Android Expert

No true. You don't need the EMEI.
    You can track from 3G and even Wi-Fi. We do this on our work issued phones and laptops.

All you need to do is set up a system-wide proxy. If the pref file is read-only, the user can't circumvent it. Even if they are surfing from home, a public wifi hotspot, it must go through our company proxy. I assume, AT&T would do the same thing if they wanted to lock it down.

It is just a configuaration text file.
    Since in dock mode, it loads up a new OS -webtop. Once in webtop, you have no idea if the OS is locked down and set-up for proxy traffic. No way around it.

I know for a fact VZW is now NATting the 3G network, I wouldn't be surprised if they did a proxy as well.

scrounger likes this.
  10. binaryhellstorm

You are correct, what I should have said is that in the past, AT&T has used the EMEI to tell what type of device you have and how to bill it.

11. scrounger

scrounger Newbie

Then they will probably use both. The proxy to find out it is being used and the IMEI to sock you with a bill.

12. AvengerBB

AvengerBB Member

Of course with root, everything changes.

13. binaryhellstorm

If the webtop environment gets hacked, then I think we can get around the tethering requirement.
    I really hope webtop gets hacked so I can run a stripped down Ubuntu distro on it, how hot would that be?

14. dsmoot

dsmoot Newbie

It could be as simple as a browser string. Probably not but maybe.

Motorola Atrix 4G Forum

The Motorola Atrix 4G release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1930mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews