1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How is launcher pro compared to Sense?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by craigrn16, May 25, 2011.

1. craigrn16

craigrn16 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is it faster, slower, smoother. Was thinking of trying out launcher pro but if I'm gonna pay for something I need more than 15 mins to try it out.

Advertisement

2. Droidmoney

Droidmoney Newbie
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    sc,US
    there is launcher pro which is free and there is launcher pro plus which you pay...pro plus gives you the ability to resize widgets and also gives you access to launcher pro widgets

3. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Unnecessary IMO. Sense has a ton of great widgets already and I personally like the look of it better than launcher pro. I had moto blur before this and would launcher pro is a definite welcome but there is no need with sense.

4. ttran97

ttran97 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    California
    I love launcherpro. Yes, sense is pretty and I like it too, but there are a few reasons why I use LP.

1. Customizing the dock. You can have up to 3 docks at the bottom, in which you swipe to change. The main dock, I just have the app launcher in the middle, phone on the left, and Google voice on the right. I swipe over and my second dock has shortcuts to settings apps, like spare parts, setCPU, LTE on/off, etc. You can have up to 5 shortcuts per dock. You can't change any of the buttons at the bottom of the Sense rosie.

2. Landscape orientation. Sometimes I lay my phone in a horizontal manner using the kickstand. The homescreens rotate and everything looks great. With the stock Sense rosie, you can't do this unless your phone is docked in the car mount, or you use some of the buggy landscape rosie mods.

3. Number of homescreens. You can have as many as 7 homescreens as with Sense, but you can also have less. I prefer only 5 so I can have my fullscreen widgets for Bookmarks, Calendar, and People (all available when you have the paid version of LP). Plus, there are a number of different transitions, and the infinite looping. All very cool.

Yes, you could live with Sense and use it. But that's the great thing about Android...choice and customizability.

5. AustinTech

AustinTech Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Alpharetta, GA (ATL)
    I like both, but I find myself coming back to Sense most of the time. Launcher Pro Plus certainly offers more options though. No reason you can't use both, just get Home Switcher and make the choice whenever you want.

The thing I like about Sense is that you can change the skins fairly easy. I love MattedBlues.

KLF likes this.
  6. TheSultan

TheSultan Android Expert
    None

Mar 6, 2010
    Operations Manager
    Rochester, NY
    I love LauncherPro, I installed the paid version and never looked back! It's definitely a smooth, fast transition, even with all the effects turned up to the max.

The widgets are ok--not great, but useful.

7. nateap87

nateap87 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    California
    Adw would be the best if it had the Widgets and did a better job with the infinite looping

8. tuanster1119

tuanster1119 Well-Known Member
    None

May 7, 2010
    Desktop Engineer
    As far as performance, there really isn't any difference between the paid and unpaid Launcher pro. Install it and see if you like it. The paid version just gives you some more features and widgets but the functionality is identicle.

9. McLabia

McLabia Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Working...
    City of Sharks to the City of Live Music!
    LPP is worse than sense and until its updated not worth buying. If you want something that actually works and NEVER FCs and is updated regularly I would suggest GOLauncher.

10. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    +1 Go launcher was my go to with the D2G but I can't bring myself to stop using sense, I like the widgets and customization options you get with sense I see no reason to use an home replacement app.

11. jhimebau

jhimebau Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    I switch back and forth and I find myself more fond of LLP but really think Sense it quite lovely.

12. daltekkie

daltekkie Member
    None

May 1, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Quick question related to LPP and Sense. I've used LPP for a while now and have been very happy with it. It was force of habit to just install it on the TB when I first got it. However, I'm not sure I've ever really used Sense and I'm now curious to see what it is like. When I first installed LPP it asked me which application I would like to use for my homescreen, LPP or Sense. I clicked the check to not ask me again and chose LPP. Now, how do I get back?

I don't want to uninstall LPP completely. I just want to be able to switch back to Sense for a little bit and come back to LPP later.

How do I do that since I told it not ask me anymore?

13. McLabia

McLabia Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Working...
    City of Sharks to the City of Live Music!
    For easy mode, I like this one.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.homesmack

daltekkie likes this.
  14. daltekkie

daltekkie Member
    None

May 1, 2010
    Dallas, TX
  15. bballphil13

bballphil13 Lurker
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    I use GO Launcher EX. Landscape mode, as many screens as you could possibly want, and you can set exactly where your home screen is. So many options that sense doesnt have and I love it

16. BAMARTIN03

BAMARTIN03 Member
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have used launcherpro plus for a year with an LG ally and now the thunderbolt, I have never had fc... I love launcherpro actually makes phone more enjoyable. Sense was a horrible launcher, makes the phone seem like a dumb phone...

17. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Banking
    Milwaukee
    Sense is definitely the best skin, but I still prefer launcher pro. Who needs 7 homescreens? the transitions are smooth and very fast.

Probably never go back to Sense or even the stock Android lanucher. Too many options out there for better launchers IMO..

I'm gonna give GO launcher or Regina 3d a try too. Regina seems pretty damn sweet..

18. arche3

arche3 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 11, 2010
    tried go, LLP pro, and some others... forgot. basically all the free and paid ones. I ended up using SPB mobile shell 3d. the best. not as customizable as the others but it is very fast with the bottom slider and the way it flips the screens. it is the best for me in terms of speed going from screen to screen.