1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How is Motoblur different than stock Android?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by twcowdery, May 19, 2011.

1. twcowdery

twcowdery Well-Known Member
    None

May 18, 2011
    Mostly a question born out of curiosity. I've read about Blur on the Motorola's and Sense on the HTC's, but since my X is my first Android phone, I don't know what the difference is between the Blur skin and the stock skin.

TIA

PS: I've done some searching, but the posts I found were only about problems with motoblur, not the differences.

Advertisement

2. Riverman

Riverman Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Blur adds a custom launcher, a set of widgets, and special apps for email, messaging, and social networking that link together better than the stock Android apps. Blur's launcher on Android 2.2 slowed the phone down, which I think is what caused most people to hate it. On 2.3, there isn't any noticeable slowdown, and most people, myself included, think that what Motorola changed is an improvement.

twcowdery likes this.
  3. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010

the most readily apparent difference is a visual one...Motorola does their own theme on top of Android to make the phone look different than "Vanilla" Android...there is a big difference between Vanilla Gingerbread, and Motorola's GingerBlur...normally the color scheme of Gingerbread is black and green...but Motorola has gone for various shades of blue and white...and have swapped out all sorts of icons for special ones that they make...

then there are widgets and apps that the phone manufacturers develop that they include in their versions of Android...for instance Motorola uses a different camera app than Vanilla Android...their own texting app...and all sorts of other apps...

twcowdery likes this.
  4. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    Web Design and Hosting/PC Repair
    NW Georgia
    Vanilla Android is BLACK with white text.

twcowdery likes this.
  5. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Motorola tweaks other things that are more subtle though. For example, you can delete the Facebook app on the X, but not on the stock D1. You can sync your account without the app with the X. You can receive Facebook messages like texts with blur, but you can't control which of your Facebook contacts sync (it's all or nothing with blur, but with stock you can filter out the ones that aren't already in your phone). The settings are arranged differently, etc.

twcowdery likes this.
  6. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    bigtime difference. I LOVE Gingerblur. :) I don't like blur too much though. :(

twcowdery likes this.
  7. twcowdery

twcowdery Well-Known Member
    None

May 18, 2011
    Thanks for the info everyone.

For those mentioning Gingerblur - am I correct to assume that is the version of blur that comes with Gingerbread? I didn't think that was officially out yet.

Won't matter - since I'm not on Verizon, I probably won't get the update anyway.

8. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Android Expert
    None

May 17, 2010
    Edge of Insanity
    I just switched back to GingerBlur AGAIN today from Launcher Pro Plus. I go back and forth. Sometimes I miss the speed of blur, then other times I miss the features of LPP. I guess that's what makes Android so great.