• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how is the reception??

msierra519

Android Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2010
hey all..can anyone tell me how the reception is on this phone? i currently have the Motorola Photon and love it in all aspects..with the exception of the random phone reboots...i cant take it anymore...4+ reboots a day is completely unacceptable. i had the Nexus S4g before i switched to the mopho and loved the phone but the reception wasnt great..and i assume the antenna was in the middle of the phone because when i would hold the phone to text i would loose reception..

so pleeeease help me out with some info because i need to get rid of this mopho asap!!

Caveat I do not own the phone so the following is from reading many forums and reviews:

The epic touch 4g reception is not nearly as good as the photon. While it is not bad (my judge from what I've read is average; maybe slightly higher; it is not as good as the evo 4g and way worse than the photon (which is exceptional).
-
Mind you reception actually involves different antennae which can behave very differently (call, 4g, 3g).

This ignores the LOS (lost of signal) issue some folks have where the phone cabbit receive/make calls until rebooted.

Upvote 0
First, I ignore the bars as it really doesn't mean much/as well as measuring speed using different apps. I go by my "perception" as to how long does it take to access internet, download apps, etc.

The voice reception has been good (live in the Twin Cities). 3G data speed is "fair" (slight improvement over the Hero) - 4G good (when I can get it). I do not drop calls, etc.

I am just not sure about data speeds when I roam (I really can't get this phone to data roam even though I know the settings are all correct - and I have done the setup correctly using other threads that address this issue - I have data roamed one time that is how I know it is correct). I was able to data roam with my Hero so I am not sure if there is a problem specific to certain types of towers (read somewhere about that), quality of antenna, software issue??? I personally have not had the LOS issue where I needed to reboot the phone, etc. I have seen the symbol but it corrects once it can connect to 3g (again it seems like it is this roaming issue?) - Others roam all the time, I can't get it to roam??

I have also noticed there is sometimes a few second delay when sending texts and I have had a few failures

Coming from my Hero, there some features I like about Sense and one just has to get used to this phone. Not real crazy about having to swype to answer or decline a call as well as how to make a call (more steps so really need bluetooth to be safe in the car). And it doesn't come with an SD card/plus getting used to how the phone identifies the internal storage as an SD card - so you have to make sure you know where files/pics, etc are going and move when you need to if you do have an external SD card (which can be cumbersome). Don't use the stock internet (downloaded Opera) - has problems accessing secure sites/not sure why.

But, there are also many good to great features of this phone: Processor is awesome, camera is great, "gorilla glass" for the screen is so durable, clear voice to name a few.

I will be honest, if the data speed does not improve with a maintenance release (therefore a software issue), I will not purchase another Samsung phone. I have read in many places that it may be the radio/antenna. For now, I don't feel the need to throw the phone. Good luck

Upvote 0
dont have much to say about signal bars as I havent been paying attention, but I just upgraded from the EVO 4G over the weekend and one thing I have noticed is the wifi always shows one less bar than on my evo. I wonder why since I thought the ET4G had wireless N and the EVO doesnt..

I'm pretty sure the EVO 4G does have wireless N, it just wasn't listed in its original specs. There is/was a pretty big discussion on this in the EVO 4G threads, and, If my memory serves me correct, it was proven it is indeed capable of Wireless N. That being said, I'm still not impressed with the reception (of any kind) with the Epic Touch... Love everything about it, except reception is kind of weak.

Upvote 0
i just got the phone yesterday and made plenty of call already lol and its been fine i usually have 3-5 bars and the voice quality is amazing good. the only thing i want is for sprint to set up there game my phone before this was t-mobile galaxy 4g and there speeds are amazing but spotty service here at Long island ny so i went to sprint cause of the amazon sale and data speeds have not been bad but i want 4g out here on the island if everyone else is doing it sprint needs to start.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones