• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How is the signal strength?

I watched Netflix on the MAXX on the train ride home and the connection quality was better than my Incredible normally is (only buffered briefly a couple times, my Inc would buffer a lot during afternoon commutes and sometimes lose the stream). Plus, with the 4G (I live in the Chicago area) it was nice watching shows that were clear instead of pixelating due to not keeping up on 3G.

For my limited testing so far, the data connection on this thing is pretty solid.

I've only made one phone call, and that experience wasn't the greatest, but since it was from a high rise and all my phones have sporadic quality here I'm not using that as a good test yet.

Reactions: DILands
Upvote 0
If your not in a 4G area I would simply turn off the 4G and only use 3G, because there is no point really letting your phone search for signal when its only going to pick up crappy signal and is going to drain your battery or its going to not pick it up at all and still drain your battery. 4G is a battery eater this is why apple didnt put it in the 4S, and blackberry didnt put it in the new bold touch.

Upvote 0
I live in DC and travel from Vienna metro to Foggy Bottom metro. Whenever I try to browse on the web I know when it's almost time to get off the train because the phones (Droid Charge, Droid X, LG Revolution) would always say this page can't be displayed and drop the connection when we get inside the tunnel (Ballston). So, this morning I'm browsing on the Maxx and I look out the window and notice we are at the 3rd stop in the tunnel (Clarendon) and GET THIS--the phone was showing 1X not even 3G!!! I was browsing like a champ. If I didn't look up, I would've been waiting for the phone to drop the signal and miss my metro stop. So the moral of the story is the signal strength is awesome!! Well, at least for browsing. :D

Upvote 0
If both phones are on 4g:

Maxx will report 3G dbm
Gnex will report LTE dbm

They can't be compared, unless you use a 3rd party tool.

They can be compared with real world use tho.

I had a g nex. I have a razr and rezound. And between all 3 the razr is best overall for phone and data reception. This is after updates to all 3 phones. Don't have a g nex so can't compare 4.0.4 radios. And before updates my rezound had the best 4g than all 3. Now my razr and rezound are about equal, but my razr has the more reliable connection. 4.0.3 radios did improve 3g on my g nex tho.

When I say the razr is best, not talking about speeds, taking about getting and holding a signal. And all 3 can suffer from data drops. The x factor is the severity of the data issues between these LTE phones. My rezound requires reboots, my razr and g nex didn't.

Upvote 0
They can be compared with real world use tho.

I had a g nex. I have a razr and rezound. And between all 3 the razr is best overall for phone and data reception. This is after updates to all 3 phones. Don't have a g nex so can't compare 4.0.4 radios. And before updates my rezound had the best 4g than all 3. Now my razr and rezound are about equal, but my razr has the more reliable connection. 4.0.3 radios did improve 3g on my g nex tho.

When I say the razr is best, not talking about speeds, taking about getting and holding a signal. And all 3 can suffer from data drops. The x factor is the severity of the data issues between these LTE phones. My rezound requires reboots, my razr and g nex didn't.

I will agree with real world 100%. I had to make some calls tonight, so I swapped my sim into my bionic with an adapter.

Perfect call quality. I started a new thread in the SGN VZW forum about the call quality on that device, ugh. Went through VZW who immediately said let's get Samsung on the line.... Really picked the VZW brain and it's down to go to store and swap or do more troubleshooting when I have a landline handy.

Of note, I swapped to the Bionic to make the calls to VZW.

If normal is 22khz or whatever... 80% of the time the SGN is about 8khz.

Ultimately, I just wanted to be sure that people understand the dbm relationship, which gets missed all the freakin' time!

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Hi JK,

How do you like the rest of the phone?

I love it! After almost giving up on Motorola after the Droid3, I'm really impressed. It's a great phone..... but I really miss the camera on my iPhone 4s. The Maxx camera is ok, but not great. If it had a better cam, this would be my perfect phone. As it is, it's pretty damn close.

On all of my previous phones, I always load Go Launcher right away, and so far, I'm still running the stock ui. Battery life is impressive! Now I just wish I had 4g in my area.

Reactions: RadYOacTiVe
Upvote 0
I get 4G 99% of the time when I'm in Silicon Valley. I'll have to look when I'm not driving in the car to see how it is on freeways around here. I haven't traveled with it yet, so nothing to report there.

The phone signal is very good. I have four out of five bars most time, except where I work I get three where most folks get two.

One building I go to where ATT customers mostly, don't get a signal at all, I always do with Verizon, even older phones.

Reactions: syntrix
Upvote 0
Socal2ks (or others),

Does your razr maxx get better signal (voice and data) than your droid x? I currently have a droid x, but am thinking of upgrading to a razr maxx in hopes of better signal strength.

I realize that they both have moto radios. But one techie told me that the razr maxx can get better signal performance because more power can be directed toward the radio. Does anyone know if this is correct? Will rooting a maxx give me ability to manipulate how much power gets directed to the radio?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones