1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How is the voice quality and sound on this phone??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mrdroid921, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Mrdroid921

Mrdroid921 Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    Male
    N CEE!
    I keep reading reviews knocking the sound quality and voice quality of this phone, and it's scaring me away from it. They say the speakerphone and earpiece speaker is very low and tin can sounding. Can you all share if this is true or not?

Advertisement

2. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    The quality has been good for me from what I can tell. I've had five different smartphones and the Thunderbolt call quality isn't noticeably bad or anything compared to them.

3. Romikemi

Romikemi Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    OFL
    About all I've noticed is that if you have your call volume turned all the way up and the person calling you either has a dumbphone or they use their outdoor voice, the caller can distort into buzz.

Of the phones I have had, the speaker on this one puts out the most tolerable music and voice. If the sound seems overly bright, that can be eq'd out with PowerAmp. It's a small speaker, and even though it's twice the size of the D1's, it's nothing special.

4. dressagerider

dressagerider Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 12, 2010
    I just switched to this phone from the htc inspire and the speaker is amazing on the thunderbolt! I liked everything about the inspire except the speaker - it literally had NO sound and you could barely hear when speaking with someone on the phone.

I think the thunderbolt sound is far superior to also my old iphone 3gs.

5. Mrdroid921

Mrdroid921 Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    Male
    N CEE!

What about the earpiece.

6. dressagerider

dressagerider Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 12, 2010
    The earpiece is very good compared to the inspire. I had to turn the call volume up to the highest setting on the inspire and still could not hear well. The thunderbolt is barely turned up and I hear the person I am speaking with loud and clear. It is as good - or better - than my daughters motorola droid 2 global and much better than the iphone 3gs.

7. The_Superhoo

The_Superhoo Android Enthusiast

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Falls Church, VA
    I've only ever had the old Nokias (that you could change the faceplates on), some LG flip phone, an LG enV, a BB Curve, and the Thunderbolt.

IMO the Thunderbolt's voice quality is the best.

But I don't expect much, just to be able to hear them clearly and recognize the voice.

I havent compared it to other new phones, but I find it to be just fine.

8. ilmar72

ilmar72 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Call quality is good. And can be adjusted in the settings. Dial ##program password 000000. I made apost on this months ago w more detailed directions.

Speakerphone is ok and no better or no worse than any other smartphone. Imo. I have yet to own a Verizon phone w a really good speakerphone. Don't know why they can't all be loud like the Nextels were . Stupid if u ask me

9. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    Its the first phone that I have to turn down the volume. THere is like zero background noise. I know with my droid I had that tea kettle sound in the background. I would worry more about the random reboots that can happen if you get the update file.

10. itsashleybro

itsashleybro Lurker
    None

May 18, 2011
    scarewood
    I can hear just fine, but nobody can hear me. I've been told by a few people it sounds like I'm underwater.

11. in2ba8

in2ba8 Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2011
    Just as noted in a previous post, I get excellent voice RECEPTION. The problem is people cannot HEAR ME no matter how close I am to the mic. Any suggestions?

12. Wilson1911

Wilson1911 Newbie
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    call quality is very very good as are the noise canceling mics. on my wifes iphone 4 even with an otterbox helping to cover from wind its still very badly distorted but the thunderbolt has no issues in hard wind in my experience.

in2ba8 likes this.
  13. in2ba8

in2ba8 Lurker
    None

Jul 31, 2011
    Is there anyway to adjust the volume or sensetivity of the mic? To start with, I understand the mic to be the smalloval shaped opening on the very bottom edge of the Tbolt. Am I guessing right on that one?

14. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert

Jul 22, 2010
    Designer/Drafter
    O-town Florida
    i have had no issues with voice/volume on this phone. it is PLENTY loud with a sense based ROM. i can go with the volume at 50%. and i dont have any problems with others not hearing me. i would say it is louder than my old Droid X. and like i said, i never had any complaints about any phone i have had in the last 2 years (droid, droid x, and thunderbolt)

15. 97'es

97'es Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Call quality is quite good through the earpiece in my opinion, quite clear. The speakerphone is either too quiet or if turned up deteriorates into distortion. I wouldn't want to use it for important business but its passable. My OG Droid had a superior speakerphone. I've had multiple thunderbolts and a Charge. It beats the hell out of the Charge call quality I can say that much, it was horrendous.