1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How is this possible!? A Galaxy S CAPTIVATE SGH-i897 that shows gt-i9000 (Vibrant) in About screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pchemerys, Jan 15, 2012.

1. pchemerys

pchemerys Newbie
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    I'm hoping someone here can help in explaining this because this is something I've NEVER seen or heard of before and in theory, shouldnt be possible but i'm seeing it with my own eyes!

I'm (about to) purchase a slightly used Samsung Galaxy S CAPTIVATE model (SGH-i897) at least that is what the boot up screen shows.. I KNOW this is the Captivate.. i've seen the physical differences between it and the Vibrant.. they are basically the same phones hardware wise but do have a different physical appearance on the outside.. the Vibrant's model is GT-i9000..

now when I go to the about screen...the model shows the GT-i9000! How is this possible? I'm baffled because I know that i'm actually looking at a CAPTIVATE and the boot up screen shows the correct model number..but the android os (which shows the gingerbread 2.3.5 model in the about screen) is showing the model number as the VIBRANT.. gt-i9000, on the same phone! I want this phone and was about to buy it but i'm thinking this could seriously cause problems when i go to root and mod it as the conflicting model numbers could create problems with the proper files and processes i'll need to follow when doing the root/mods...

Has anyone heard of this or can explain this because I am STUMPED!

THanks

Advertisement

2. pchemerys

pchemerys Newbie
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    I looked at the About screen again and the KERNEL VERSION looks like something that is NOT the stock kernel. It states:

2.6.35.7-I9000XXJVT-CL617736
    ficeto@beast #DarkCore_4.1_JVT_C

this has to be a custom Kernel right? This phone must have been rooted and mod'd at some point (the seller didn't know and thought his cousin only unlocked the phone).

I assume a custom kernel that likely is typically for the Vibrant GT-i9000 was flahed with or without a custom rom to this phone and that is why there is the conflicting model numbers... this make sense?

Normally that wouldn't be good idea to use another kernel or rom for a slightly different model of phone but i guess it worked..

I would now like to confirm that this is the case and if so, that it is obviously ok..cuz the phone is working fine. Should I now wipe the phone back to stock rom/kernel? Can I? if I want to do more mod'ing on the phone anyways.. different kernels and likely update os to ICS 4.0

Thanks for any help on this and hopefully this all makes sense now and explains what i'm seeing