1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How is your ice cream sandwich?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AndroidMax, Apr 29, 2012.

?

My Ice Cream Sandwich is

1. Delicious!

33 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. Good, but I don't see the big deal.

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. Not that great, wish it were better.

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. It made me sick, wish i hadn't eaten it.

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. Jackson1

Jackson1 Newbie

I like it, had a few problems at first. I put my apps back with titanium backup, the .apk only. FC and unresponsive but after clearing some data from said apps and rebooting. Now it works like a dream. I also set up some dual bootloader thingy as ICS is not compatible with the Honeycomb bootloader. I've not finised reading about this dual bootloader yet or tested it but I think it means I can go back to old honeycomb backups very quickly by switching to the second bootloader image.

I'm not sure why I'd want to though. ICS works like charm. I slapped Sandvolds ICS port onto my HTC Desire. Now my phone and tablet match. I even copied the bookmarks over

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Wilsr

Wilsr Newbie

I updated a month ago and - like many others - no longer have any screen rotation when I turn the tablet.

Some apps will turn it themselves but then it's stuck the same way when I exit.

Acer are sending a voucher for "repair" although I can't see what they will do if it's a firmware problem.

When I removed the 32GB external card prior to sending it off the rotation worked OK! I thought that had isolated the problem but after switching off and on again - no rotation.

Frankly, even excluding this, I don't see any advantages in ICS and many apps have changed for the worse.

3. stridermt2k

stridermt2k Android Enthusiast

My only issue is the "sleep of death" bug that keeps it from waking, forcing a restart.

It's made me want a new tablet.

AndroidMax likes this.
  4. chenga61

chenga61 Lurker

Hi Jackson,
    I've got a A500 tablet, and it's now updated to HC 3.21.
    reading on this forum that made me hesitate to update mine to ICS.
    May I ask which model of the Iconia tablet that you have??
    Please take a look at the bottom of the box, and it should say Acer Iconia Tab A500-10S32x.
    I think the last alpha at indicated a specific HW build.
    perhaps that's why lots of other people have problems with their ICS upgrade; since they might all have slightly different HW / chips in their A500 tabs.
    please advise. many thanks.
    PS. You may CC your reply to my Email: chenga61@gmail.com
    Thanks very much.

5. Wilsr

Wilsr Newbie

Acer Australia returned my A500 in about a week, with the screen rotation fixed. The work note said they had changed the "faulty" motherboard. My reading on that is the build was one of those that had a problem with the ICS "upgrade" bypassing some initialisations of the sensors.

I am afraid I cannot say what the number is, because the sticker was removed when I sent the tablet back to Acer with a fault soon after I bought it.

From the "settings" screen on the actual tablet:

(Upgraded) Android v 4.0.3
    Kernel v 2.6.39.4+
    Image v Acer_AV041_A500_RV03RC01_WW_GEN1
    Build no. Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1
    Image P/N FM.S14A0.00U

If any of that makes sense!

My tablet was just still within warranty: other forums say that Acer won't fix the rotation problem outside warranty unless you pay. This is disgraceful - you start with a working machine and after installing an Acer-approved "upgrade" it's broken: they should fix it regardless.

You will see that I put "upgrade" in quotes: FWIW I think ICS is a retrograde step. Several things in settings etc have been changed and are no longer user-friendly or even available. The main things appear to be cosmetic and IMO don't look as nice as previously anyway. I see no difference in speed or anything else that would make me "upgrade" again