• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How likely Google will update to enable home screen auto-rotate?

D

Deleted User

With all the various howtos and apps people are using to enable home screen rotation, do you think it is likely Google will update the N7 to allow this, or at least give an option for it?

I'm guessing not but it's something I would certainly like and I am still trying to find a decent way to do it.

Since I'm waiting to send my N7 back for an exchange, I don't want to go the root method to enable tablet mode. I don't even want tablet mode really, I am happy with the stock UI, I just want to rotate the home screen.

Of course it can also be done just by installing a launcher replacement but I have major issues with both Apex and Nova launchers so that's out.

So that leaves the various apps. This is the simplest method but all the rotation apps I have tried have given me the same major issue:
I like live wallpapers, rotation apps don't seem to and cause them to stutter.

So basically I have to either make do with the standard portrait mode or make compromises to rotate it.

Unless Google do give us the option, that is...

With all the various howtos and apps people are using to enable home screen rotation, do you think it is likely Google will update the N7 to allow this, or at least give an option for it?

I'm guessing not but it's something I would certainly like and I am still trying to find a decent way to do it.

Since I'm waiting to send my N7 back for an exchange, I don't want to go the root method to enable tablet mode. I don't even want tablet mode really, I am happy with the stock UI, I just want to rotate the home screen.

Of course it can also be done just by installing a launcher replacement but I have major issues with both Apex and Nova launchers so that's out.

So that leaves the various apps. This is the simplest method but all the rotation apps I have tried have given me the same major issue:

So basically I have to either make do with the standard portrait mode or make compromises to rotate it.

Unless Google do give us the option, that is...

I just downloaded an app i could care less about it not rotating. They need top fix google chrome though some of the pages lag as opposed to dolphin browser.

Upvote 0

I use Ultimate Rotation, and I just tested it with a couple different Live Wallpapers, and no problem whatsoever.

Upvote 0
I've noticed you've said in a couple of threads that you're not rooted so this, that, and the other isn't an option.. So, it brings me to the question: Why don't you want to root? It's completely reversible, OTA rootkeeper works with it, and it empowers you with the ability to easily fix the issues I've seen you looking for answers to..

Edit: Never mind, just re-read the OP :p

Upvote 0
I don't have a problem with rooting in itself, in fact all recent devices I've used I've rooted and played with different ROMs and such.
Just that I've been waiting to do an exchange on this nexus so don't want to fiddle much with that side of things and potentially risk invalidating the warranty or anything.

But I have ordered a new nexus and will likely be keeping this one too so this probably isn't an issue anymore :)

In any case though, I was wondering if the amount of people wanting home screen rotate might convince Google to rethink.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones