1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How likely is a "bricked" phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Girevik, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

I'm considering a root, but am nervous about killing my phone. I'm pretty comfortable doing tech stuff on computers, so it's not a technophobe issue....I'm just a cheapskate and don't want to kill my phone. Worst case senario, what are the odds that I do something to my phone that I would not be able to recover from?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert

It's really difficult to brick a Captivate but, alas, still possible. If you haven't already visited this page, it's a good resource for rooting information:

http://www.capfaq.com/w/Root

sremick likes this.
  3. Tristessie

Tristessie Newbie

Rooting is a one-click step. I still new myself and I think it'd be quite hard to (soft) brick a phone while rooting.

Installing a ROM is a longer process and therefore gives more chances for error, but a root is very simple. Go for it ;)

4. Girevik

Well, I guess my point is that I would be rooting to install a different rom. Is there a reason to root if you're going going to put a custom rom on?

5. NorCal Einstein

NorCal Einstein Android Enthusiast

The only reason you root to install a custom ROM is so that you can download the app "ROM Manager", and in ROM Manager, download ClockworkMod Recovery. Clockwork Recovery is used to install the custom ROM.

There's another way to do it, bypassing the root process and all that...but if you're new to installing ROMs, just follow the published instructions.

6. camsdroid

camsdroid Newbie

hey bro your good on a root on the cappy its really easy to root and if u screw up 99.9% of the time its as easy fix.

7. Rootmepls

Rootmepls Android Enthusiast

So far so good on mine. Rooting is a very simple process. I messed up doing it numerous times till I got the right drivers installed on my computer. Never once did anything to my computer or phone. Finally got it rooted and never looked back. Updated my ROM a few times with no issues also.

8. JavaBrewer

JavaBrewer Newbie

Not likely. If you have ODIN you are good to go. Remember to use ODIN to reset the phone back to rock bottom stock before attempting to flash a ROM. I had issues with ROM Manager...it failed trying to do the ClockworkMod flash...so I downloaded the Samsung Captivate ClockworkMod zip and just did a (high/low vol + power button) with the CW zip (renamed to update.zip) and the ROM zip waiting on my SD card and all was good.

Scary the first time yes but you will be fine.

9. oFUNGUSo

oFUNGUSo Member

i was paranoid too, but the one click root/unroot tool was super easy and fast. no problems at all. i was much MORE worried this morning when i flashed my first new ROM. and even that went smoothly and my phone works great

10. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert

Free at last.

11. Girevik

I guess that's what I really meant, since I would only be rooting for the purpose of putting on a new rom. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to it. I'm still real happy with my Cappy as is....I guess I just don't know what I'm missing.

12. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert

When I got my first dog I was a noob with pets. I took him to the vet and while he was getting his shots I asked "does he need to be mated?" The vet replied, "what he doesn't know won't hurt him." True story.

What you don't know (flashing a custom ROM) won't hurt you, but you'll be missing out on a lot of pleasure! :D

13. Thassodar

Thassodar Newbie

I actually successfully semi-bricked my phone (only a logo with a phone, exclamation point, and a computer would show) this weekend. Got it into download mode and had it back to normal within a hour. It may sound like the end of the world but as long as you backup frequently it can be no hassle. Add to that that bricking your phone is pretty hard to do (Odin froze so I disconnected my phone, that's what caused my problem).

14. Girevik

Now that there's just funny.....I don't care who you are.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews