1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How long andoid updates work?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by userid2589, Nov 15, 2021.

1. userid2589

userid2589 Lurker

What is android device life length? I got 2018 redm and I wanna know how long I'll get updates?

mikedt likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

it depends on the manufacturer of your phone. i know that samsung will do 3-4 major updates with a few more security patch updates thrown in. most phones will have a life span of about 3-4 years. it is mainly because of the battery and the fact that they are not removeable.

3. Madd61

Madd61 Android Enthusiast

Is it the Redmi 7 or 7 Pro.
    Are you currently on MIUI 11, or 12 to 12.5.

I think it will get MIUI 12.5 but will stay on Android 10. Security patches should still come, but probably every 2 - 3 months for the previous or current month. (guessing here)

I have 2 Xiaomi devices (a Mi 10 Lite and a Poco F2 Pro) in the UK, both 1 year old.

There is generally a few good web sources for their updates, but MIUI updates can take months to reach every model that's eligible in their (Xiaomi) constantly revised list; plus it can depend on your world region.

I couldn't find enough information on an initial search, the info is usually offered to me by Google, but I'll try again later.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

There's no hard and fast rule: it varies between manufacturer and for most manufacturers it also depends on the model (typically higher-end models getting longer support than lower-end ones). If you tell us which phone you have we can probably look it up

But frankly a 2018 phone is almost certainly already out of updates - Google devices prior to the Pixel 6 would get 3 major updates, and some recent Samsungs too, but I can't think of any other Android manufacturer (apart perhaps from niche brands like Fairphone) who offer similar support periods. And Xiaomi's Redmi phones are not noted for long or speedy software support. According to GSMArena's database the Redmi 7 (the forum we are in) received an update from Android 9 to Android 10, but that's all. But that device is also listed as a 2019 model, so I'm not sure whether it's the model you have. Either way it's really, really unlikely that you're still getting updates on that phone.

Redmi 7 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews